Help Installing Mychron 5

racer_48

I have an LO206 engine that I need help installing a Mychron 5 onto. I'm new to karting. If there is an online tutorial anyone knows of that would be great. Specifically, I need to know where on the engine I need to hook the temperature gauge an where to wrap the RPM wire.

Any help is appreciated. If anyone happens to have pictures of what theirs looks like, that would also help a lot. I'm happy for whatever help I can get, as I have no idea what I'm doing.

Typically the temp gauge goes under the spark plug .
The rpm wire goes on the spark plug wire next too the boot .

As mentioned above wrap the RPM lead around the spark plug wire 3 times and your good to go. If you really want temperature you need to use the lead that goes between the best and the plug. You still need to use the spark plug washer though.

Both the above are correct but no one uses a temp sensor. The way to change the mixture(lean-rich) is somewhat limited and taping or blocking the shroud is not legal. It also will move the plug further up out of the combustion chamber.

Thanks for that. Thanks everyone for the help. So I'm hearing that I should just stick with RPM's and leave the rest alone?

Thanks for that. Thanks everyone for the help. So I'm hearing that I should just stick with RPM's and leave the rest alone?
Yes. No need to monitor engine temp (unless you just like to see the numbers.)
You will lose some performance by installing the thermocouple under the plug -s o most don't use it.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Since you are new , it might not hurt to run the temp lead .
Not running it might get you .001% more power maybe a little more .
Temperature rise can in some situations show a tight condition or possibly a gearing issue .
The mychron 5 has a lot of capabilities it would be a shame not too use them all .
There has been multiple recommendations not too use the temp lead from reputable sources .
Question then , even for a beginner it has no merit ?
Sprint or oval racing ?

Since you are new , it might not hurt to run the temp lead .
Not running it might get you .001% more power maybe a little more .
Temperature rise can in some situations show a tight condition or possibly a gearing issue .
The mychron 5 has a lot of capabilities it would be a shame not too use them all .
There has been multiple recommendations not too use the temp lead from reputable sources .
Question then , even for a beginner it has no merit ?
Sprint or oval racing ?

Since you are limited on tuning on the 206, (and I don't consider CHT an accurate way to tune the 206 regardless), and you are not allowed to add tape to get the engine hot enough to make a difference in power, you should not get the engine too hot running it legally (even if the kart is locked down.) Now, with that said, if you've got a brake dragging, bearing bound up, etc that would build engine heat - that may be a reason to monitor cht on the 206, but that's a whole other problem that needs addressed.

The performance differenence is minimal, although it is real. If you feel more comfortable running the CHT and monitoring it, by all means, do so.

Back