Help me build a fast non hemi

maknwar

This will be a parking lot, suburban racer. I'm just looking to make a fast kart, and get my cherry popped on modified small engines. I know how to work on engines but have no idea what combos work when adding after market parts. I'm starting with a used non hemi but that's as far as I got. Arc flywheel, and governor removal is about all I can do without more planning. Is a used engine ok to start modding?

Anyone have a list of parts they can share that will make me have the best engine?

Thinking of going with a 308 or black mamba cam, arc rod +.020, hemi flat piston, 26# springs. I could milk the head down but I don't know what parts I would need to accomplish that. Good combo? Would a Dover holy Moses carb and pipe be a good choice?

Thinking I'll mill the head .040, put a Honda flat top piston with an arc +.020 rod in it. Will I need to do anything to the pushrods or valves? Upgrade rockers?

What head do you have? its stamped on the outside bottom if you have a rtc 6 thru 9 head your golden. Carb wise thats up to you but if you have no restrictions id go with a 22 to 24mm slide carb or stay with stock appearing built by a reputable carb guy like dover typically 390 carbs can be a pain to tune on gas . As for your cam 308 is a good cam you might need to grind inside of block for clearance purposes.

If ur in a parking lot keep it simple. Add a fly wheel, a nice carb, rod, 1-3 rockers and a flat top piston.. it'll be more then u think.. gear short like a 12-13 in the front and like 65 or so in the back... you get going too fast and it makes it hard to find places to go!

If ur in a parking lot keep it simple. Add a fly wheel, a nice carb, rod, 1-3 rockers and a flat top piston.. it'll be more then u think.. gear short like a 12-13 in the front and like 65 or so in the back... you get going too fast and it makes it hard to find places to go!

So milling the head would be kinda over the top?

No but if ur going with a flat top and running pump gas you will have plenty of compression... my first parking lot kart was an old 196 blue motor with a 14cc head header and carb... it would cook in ur average parking lot! Max mph was around 40-45... but it's a parking lot 40mph is pretty quick!

I noticed the 308 cam says it is 34 btdc, but the arc flywheel is preset to 32 btdc. *Would this negate the cams true value?

I noticed the 308 cam says it is 34 btdc, but the arc flywheel is preset to 32 btdc. *Would this negate the cams true value?

Set the timing yourself or buy a key to get the 2 deg more timing. You wouldnt notice the difference if you left it at 32 though.

Back