Help me Choose

jaymancds

So here is the situation, March 20th my local track is having their test and tune day. 20 minutes from home, I think its $5 or $10 for most likely as many laps as I want.

Also March 19th and 20th, there is a "money race" happening roughly 2.5hrs from home. Possible winnings $250, Entry $60, not sure on parking price. Track layout claims it will be similar in size to my local track just much flatter. For just the 20th, winnings are $150 entry is $30.

I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to do. All of my stuff, tires and all, will be race ready by that time. Our first true race day locally is April 10th.

Heres my short pro/con. Add to it as you see fit.

Race Pro: Knock the rust off in a competitive environment, make sure tires are feeling good, chance to start season with big win, confidence going into season
Con: Cost, Travel, chance of damage weeks before season, potential travel issues (vehicle issues etc)

Practice Pro: Close to home, no pressure testing, tons of laps, probably not going to seriously damage anything, hang out with local show buddies, be home for dinner
Con: Not competitive, track not going to wear in due to low kart count, not great data collection

Feel free to add to the pro cons as you see fit. What would you do?

Always felt on just practice days, tracks are not prepped like for a race day, so you would just be turning laps, putting wear on your kart, engine and tires for nothing...if your a young driver or have a young driver that needs practice, thats a different story.
This is the start of my second year. Thats the same objection I have against the practice. The track wont be prepped the same and most likely wont get any wear in it, so I really wont be able to do much testing more than just turning laps.

Back