Help me get free.

Bart

My boy runs jr champ 375 animal black plate. On asphalt 1/8 mile semi banked oval high bite on yellow Vegas. Nose 47 cross 56.6 left 61.5. Stagger 2 inches frt and rr. Castor 6/10. Can not seem to get this kart not to be tight. Any suggestions or a complete set up over haul I will take thank you in advance. I can provide more information if needed.

How can you guys point out cross being too high without a clue as to what chassis this is??? 56% cross is too high? since when? I admit I'm a dirt guy and don't know much about asphalt but 61% left would be my concern!

I bet you would like it if it were 56.6 left and 61 cross. With 61 left and 47 nose that tells me LR aint unloading enough if ever.

----------------N46.7%
----LF-98-----------------77-RF
L- 61.6%-------X56%
--LR-133-----------------67-RR
----------------375total

Above is how I take my notes for my chassis setup (minus the dashes because the website changed how it looked), can you see the dominate tire? These have to be close to your numbers if you weigh 375. Nose percent is a little low but you get the idea

Last edited:
What chassis and how much air ? Is it bouncing in the corners at all ?
Kj26 trick Olympic monster bad boy. 10 on rts and 7left frt 6 left rear. Hop center off. Kart is fast but not fun to drive. 0 left front camber 3 3/4. On rt frt. Thank u for any info.

true , though the whole chassis is tilted on the banking .
my camber experience is dirt flat but had similar issues and we were high camber.
heavy wear and the dreaded hop. I feel less camber may have helped .

true , though the whole chassis is tilted on the banking .
my camber experience is dirt flat but had similar issues and we were high camber.
heavy wear and the dreaded hop. I feel less camber may have helped .
I wonder if Kj 26 could weight in on this or possibly jpm31. Thanks need all the info I can get. I'm learning alot .

I don’t have a lot of champ experience from what I’ve said elsewhere, but the kart has absolutely no idea if it’s running on a flat or banked track and that goes for any kart on any track. It’s the surface that makes all the difference.
My first concern would be your big air splits. We’ve never went more than 2# split. So I would tighten that up to start. Go out with 10r/8l and don’t be afraid to go higher on air I’ve seen 14/12 before. You are using small wheel on the LR correct, Same size as LF or smaller ?
Caster I’d be around 6/8 with both blocks back,
Camber +.5 & -3
Nose 46.8-47
Left 59-60
Cross 54-55
Stagger 1.5 front 1.5-2 rear

Hopefully JP will chime in, he’s helped us a ton over the years.

I'm no asphalt nor champ guy, but a hop is caused by slip grip, slip grip, repeat thus the hop, so my thoughts would be that the big split starts the slip.

I don’t have a lot of champ experience from what I’ve said elsewhere, but the kart has absolutely no idea if it’s running on a flat or banked track and that goes for any kart on any track. It’s the surface that makes all the difference.
My first concern would be your big air splits. We’ve never went more than 2# split. So I would tighten that up to start. Go out with 10r/8l and don’t be afraid to go higher on air I’ve seen 14/12 before. You are using small wheel on the LR correct, Same size as LF or smaller ?
Caster I’d be around 6/8 with both blocks back,
Camber +.5 & -3
Nose 46.8-47
Left 59-60
Cross 54-55
Stagger 1.5 front 1.5-2 rear

Hopefully JP will chime in, he’s helped us a ton over the years.
Kj 26 thank u I'll definitely try these things. Jp is pretty good. Seem you are also appreciate the input.

If you are under -3.5 on a buggy in any class on asphalt you might as well not even put it on the track...... No matter what chassis you are on.....

Cross: 52%
Left: 58% <--- depend on class/driver weight
Nose: 45.5%
+.25 lf -3.75 rf
1 1/2 front and rear stagger
5/8 castor
get up on air..... at least 10/11 to start out on

Also to add why suggesting to run so much rear stagger on a track that he says is banked?

My
If you are under -3.5 on a buggy in any class on asphalt you might as well not even put it on the track...... No matter what chassis you are on.....

Cross: 52%
Left: 58% <--- depend on class/driver weight
Nose: 45.5%
+.25 lf -3.75 rf
1 1/2 front and rear stagger
5/8 castor
get up on air..... at least 10/11 to start out on

Also to add why suggesting to run so much rear stagger on a track that he says is banked?
My Boy only weighs 110 to 115. How much of matters on left side. Please explain. Thank u

My

My Boy only weighs 110 to 115. How much of matters on left side. Please explain. Thank u
Left side matters a lot The more bite a track has the more left you want to run. but you have to be careful.....too much left side will cause a four wheel drift from center off (not allowing rs tires to "work" like they should, to help the kart rotate)

but to answer your original question.....61.5 cross is honestly about 10% more then where you should be.....

Back