help please with COBRA tires

Hoonikart

Just received a new set of Cobra tires. Out of the wrapper they duro 68. After a light scuffing they are hitting 60. We typically run Vega Yellow's and we run them between 35-40 duro. Whats the best way to safely get the Cobra tires to where they work close to the same. ive read from, cobra they say not to run internal prep... but im not sure how to get them down without it.. please help with advice or input

external prep? there is about a million options for a preps that soften from the outside. racing burris we never put anything inside the tire. understand cobras will turn to goo if you aggressively prep from the inside

Ran a few sets here in Florida and we were fast on them, out of the wrapper and just wiping black sand and conditioner or Black sand and Acrysol mix. Won a few races on them but noticed they only seem good for one weekend, after that, never was able to find speed again in them.

Use your traditional chemical to soften just go easy and keep an eye on duro. I honestly don't know if a Cobra is what you want for that soft of a duro target, they are more of a competitor to Maxxis with duros ranging from 50-65. When you get down to needing a 40 and below you better be on a Vega

Just received a new set of Cobra tires. Out of the wrapper they duro 68. After a light scuffing they are hitting 60. We typically run Vega Yellow's and we run them between 35-40 duro. Whats the best way to safely get the Cobra tires to where they work close to the same. ive read from, cobra they say not to run internal prep... but im not sure how to get them down without it.. please help with advice or input
If you pretty much race at 1 place and the tire of choice is vega, best advise you'll get is sell the cobras to help with the cost and buy a new set of vegas.

***UPDATE*** After several days of just prepping and hot boxing them, many many coats....i have the duro down to 42 currently...im going to do another coat or 2 to get to around 38-40 and give them the test this weekend... all done with ZERO inside prep. so it can be done, you can get the Cobra tires down to be very soft. Now just to test and make sure they bite

***UPDATE*** After several days of just prepping and hot boxing them, many many coats....i have the duro down to 42 currently...im going to do another coat or 2 to get to around 38-40 and give them the test this weekend... all done with ZERO inside prep. so it can be done, you can get the Cobra tires down to be very soft. Now just to test and make sure they bite
not sure prepping multiple whips during the week is the key with these. if i needed them down that much i would hit them with an aggressive base at the trailer and soaked them at the grid. the right maxxis for one track condition will be a different duro than a burris running the same track. there is a learning curve for each tire brand what works for one is wrong for the other

I don't mean to be negative, but I'd be prepared to be disappointed with your results.

Wanted to post an Update…. The Cobras hit the track tonight duro at 40-41. Kart stuck like glue to our track. Y’all had me worried, but it held on and ran very fast all evening. Parked it in Victory lane tonight. Will update next weekend when we see if they can stay hot multiple weeks.

Glad to hear it worked out for ya, I didn't make the connection with flatrun until just now I can see them hooking up there for a normal night race as I don't think you could lock a tire down for that place.
Congrats !!

Congrats ! Keep an eye on them now during the week. I kept up with my normal prep program and they just kept falling in duro. Got to the point I would just clean em well at the track and put like a single wipe of trac tac orange on until the day of the race.

Yes that’s my gameplan. I’m going to check them Wednesday just to see if they have hardened up any. But I’m hoping to just need a wipe at the track and be good to go.

Cobra's in victory lane 2020... out of the box, orange Trac Tack at the track all season... good tires

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 46
We wipe at the track only. Or day of the race when loading the trailer. I always use a medium and/or aggressive, 2-4 wipes initially, then 1-2 before each race. Duro came down to about 50 and has since stayed there. These are on a j2/3 QRC wing kart and we win on them against treads a lot.

Back