Help , Why this happen

Rolos10

Why this happen , torque was set 210lb-in for ea screw .... motor start smoking alot .... I open here what I found ...any ideas ?

Thank you so much

Attachments

• today.jpg
    today.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 102
  • today3.jpg
    today3.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 105
Your head bolts look damaged.
It looks like you over tightened them (a lot) and also damaged the head.
The max torque spec for the head bolts is 220 inch pounds.
Are you sure you didn't tighten them to 220 foot pounds?
You also might want to check the calibration of you torque wrench.

Hi B Faster ,
after the first screw .
I measured the other 3 screws and they are all 210 inch-pounds .... all the another motors are ok ... I tested with 2 different torque wrench ... Thanks you

How old was it ? Has the head ever been off ?
Is the head eroded were the leak was ? There must have been a defect in that location .
How long have you owned it ?
Something certainly appears out of the norm .

I see this happen to the head bolt pad next to the exhaust but not the other three.
The reason it happens to the one next to the exhaust is because it can get very hot in that location.
The heat can get excessive in that location if you race in a part of the country where the temperature gets hotter that this Yankee can take for very long. Places like Arizona, Southern Ca. New Mexico, Texas and Mexico etc etc.
Other things that can make the engine run very hot are taping off the blower housing, too much header wrap, very sticky tires, and high kart and driver weight and improper ignition timing.
It normally does not affect the other 3 head bolts.
I have seen the flange on the head bolts bend or cup somewhat over time (normally the one next to the exhaust) but i have NEVER seen a head bolt that appears to be cracked or damaged like the ones in you picture. I would like to see a better / closer picture of the flange on those head bolts.
I'm still suspicious of the torque that was applied to those head bolts.
If you bought the engine used the previous owner may have over torqued them. If you are the original owner then i'd still say you better check your torque wrenches.

By the look of the hex on the head bolt this is not the first time the head has been off, was it a new gasket how many times was it reused.
The internal hex on the bolt holding the intake runner seems to have suffered from a heavy hand or improper tool.

I'll agree with the others -- just looking at the bolt hole bosses on the head don't look flat (ie way over torqued, or possibly someone chamfered them = bad idea). Even the backside of the head of the bolt (thrust surface) looks distorted, likely from one of the previous two reasons given.

It's not uncommon at all to burn a head gasket near the head bolt closest to the exhaust. Where yours burnt through though looks like it was not torqued enough, or it was previously over-torqued, causing the corners of the head to pull down. Where I normally see a head gasket failure is between the top two head bolts since the spread is so wide on the bolt pattern and one bolt carries a LOT more heat than the other.

Don't re-use head gaskets (especially the soft graphite ones we have to use on the LO206 rules.)

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Looks like it is an older head as evidenced by the lack of a heat sink where the head bolt nearest the exhaust goes. I am guessing this engine has had a lot of time on it.

Back