Help with chain

Jof65

Running a 228r with a 3 disk clutch #35 chain. 11/69 gears and the chain keeps coming off. I can try switching to a 12 driver but its a bull ring and the 11 pulls right out of the corners. Is there a trick or chain guide I can use to help?

Set chain tension with driver in kart .
Chain guard on rear sprocket .
Chain guide on lower run of chain near engine.
Most any kart supplier will have both .
Call anyone on the home page .

Set chain tension with driver in kart .
Chain guard on rear sprocket .
Chain guide on lower run of chain near engine.
Most any kart supplier will have both .
Call anyone on the home page .
I run the chain guard all time. Just got a bigger guard last night after the race because mine was the same size as the gear. I’ll pick up a guide and try that out.
it sucks when you’re competitive and that chain pops.

A quality chain helps.
Careful allignment .
I had a motor mount that would not keep the tension the same as you tightened it , junked that . That helped alot .
Use a straight edge off the sprocket .
Too check the engine/clutch/drive sprocket is parallel to one another .

Motor mount is easily overlooked as a source of chain issues, if you're a big guy like me, I tend to lean on the chain guard pretty hard with my right forearm/elbow if motor mount is coming loose, I'd sure think that would be moving motor side to side/back to front just enough to cause out of alignment so the chain jumps off...just a thought...

Motor mount is easily overlooked as a source of chain issues, if you're a big guy like me, I tend to lean on the chain guard pretty hard with my right forearm/elbow if motor mount is coming loose, I'd sure think that would be moving motor side to side/back to front just enough to cause out of alignment so the chain jumps off...just a thought...
I’m just a little fella at 170 but I’m running a 30hp open. I’m wondering if the mount could move now and not realize it. It wouldn’t take much

With a 11 tooth driver b sure and use the correct retainer ring. If ur using the one that takes pliers to put on and off the holes will contact the chain and roll it off driver.. Use a spiral lock on 11 tooth.
Thank you!! That is something I overlooked and makes perfect sense

I’m just a little fella at 170 but I’m running a 30hp open. I’m wondering if the mount could move now and not realize it. It wouldn’t
I run a 55hp open, only time I ever thrown a #35 chain is if the rear axle sprocket holder/hub gets bent or is out of align with the clutch gear, or if the track is really rough or you happen to run over one of the disc's normally around the bottom of the corners. Also very important to make sure you have a proper snug fitting key in the keyway for that same rear axle sprocket holder/hub so it clamps down hard on the axle and can't move either way, personally in addition to the key, I have axle clamps on each side of the sprockets hub for extra insurance against that happening...

With a 11 tooth driver b sure and use the correct retainer ring. If ur using the one that takes pliers to put on and off the holes will contact the chain and roll it off driver.. Use a spiral lock on 11 tooth.
And also check the snap ring that holds the sprocket on the clutch basket, if you don't have the very small Allen head screws screwed into the basket to hold the snap ring in place good and tight, the snap ring can come off the end of the sprocket, then the sprocket may start moving causing chain misalignment....trying to say there are many different things that can be the cause of throwing a chain...

Running a 228r with a 3 disk clutch #35 chain. 11/69 gears and the chain keeps coming off. I can try switching to a 12 driver but its a bull ring and the 11 pulls right out of the corners. Is there a trick or chain guide I can use to help?
Use a chain guard, it happened to me too before, we just got a chain guard and tightened the tension on the chain a little

You have receieved some real good infor so far. Here is my opinion,,,On some chassis a 69 rear gear will hit the track causing chain to go off track. Especially if you spin out. try a 66 rear gear It will change your ratio from 6.2727 to a 6.0 That is not much at all. I have had that same problem before. It has been years since I went from 68 to a 66 and have not had a chain come off since.

Grab your chain top and bottom about midway between the engine and rear axle and try to squeeze the top and bottom together you will be surprised how much that engine mount will flex. That 11 driver snap ring thing can get ya too if it’s not right. Also look close at the driver as well the 11 has no bushing and will occasionally crack through the bore.

Grab your chain top and bottom about midway between the engine and rear axle and try to squeeze the top and bottom together you will be surprised how much that engine mount will flex. That 11 driver snap ring thing can get ya too if it’s not right. Also look close at the driver as well the 11 has no bushing and will occasionally crack through the bore.
Yeah I found out last fall when I blew an 11 apart. It snapped it off at the basket

Back