Help with Excel

alvin l nunley

Site Supporter
I want a cell to display different text based on 3 different conditions. I can do 2, but can’t make it to three.
This is what I have been working with.
=IF(B5>1,"Totals from calculated corner weights",orIF(A5>1,"Totals from 4 input corners")),orIF(A5+B5<1,"wait")
The first two if’s work, but adding the third blows it
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

Al,
I think this is what you want:

=IF( B5>1, "Totals from calculated corner weights", IF( A5>1, "Totals from 4 input corners", IF( A5+B5<1, "WAIT","ERROR" )))

The "ERROR" is what it defaults to if none of the conditions are true, you can change the "ERROR" message to display whatever you want. If you just put "", it will display nothing.

Travis

Nobody else wants to give it a try. The first effort, while I very much appreciated the try, didn’t work.
Comments, Compliments, Criticisms and Questions always welcome.

Try this and see if it is what you want to return. If not, try to explain what you want to be returned under each scenario.

=IF(AND(B5>1,A5<=1,A5+B5>=1),"Totals from calculated corner weights",IF(AND(A5>1,A5+B5>=1),"Totals from 4 input corners","wait"))

Try this and see if it is what you want to return. If not, try to explain what you want to be returned under each scenario.

=IF(AND(B5>1,A5<=1,A5+B5>=1),"Totals from calculated corner weights",IF(AND(A5>1,A5+B5>=1),"Totals from 4 input corners","wait"))
This works almost perfect but for one thing.
I’m too tired to think straight, I’ll answer tomorrow with a fresh approach.
It’s only one minor thing and I like and appreciate what you did. It works with no errors.

In the first =IF(AND(B5>1,A5<=1,…….
I changed the “A5<=1” to “A5>1” and it works just like I want. Thank you very much!!
But now I’m thinking this thing is just too much for the average karter. While it is true that you only can, or need to, enter the Total Kart & Driver weight and the Front, Left and Cross percentages, or, the Kart & Driver corner weights, there is so much information displayed, it can be overwhelming.
There is not now, nor do I think there ever has been, a Weights program this comprehensive. The only problem with it is it’s too comprehensive and you have to have “Excel” to use it.
You can use it with Open Office, which is a free download, but you lose some of the automated data entry features. Open Office is compatible with Excel only to an extent.
If you want a free copy, email anunley@austin.rr.com and ask for Nine Sheets
Corner Weights is only 1 of 15 karting related sheets in the program.

Nobody else wants to give it a try. The first effort, while I very much appreciated the try, didn’t work.

Al,
Sorry. Not sure why it didnt work with you. It worked just fine in my Excel 2010. I even tested it with all combinations of values.

Travis

In the first =IF(AND(B5>1,A5<=1,…….
I changed the “A5<=1” to “A5>1” and it works just like I want. Thank you very much!!
But now I’m thinking this thing is just too much for the average karter. While it is true that you only can, or need to, enter the Total Kart & Driver weight and the Front, Left and Cross percentages, or, the Kart & Driver corner weights, there is so much information displayed, it can be overwhelming.
There is not now, nor do I think there ever has been, a Weights program this comprehensive. The only problem with it is it’s too comprehensive and you have to have “Excel” to use it.
You can use it with Open Office, which is a free download, but you lose some of the automated data entry features. Open Office is compatible with Excel only to an extent.
If you want a free copy, email anunley@austin.rr.com and ask for Nine Sheets
Corner Weights is only 1 of 15 karting related sheets in the program.

Your Welcome.

I wasn't sure which expression had precedence at each condition and it looks like I guessed wrong. Looking at it now, the expression below is a little simpler and should also work as long as B5 doesn’t go negative. I don’t see a need for the constraint of A5+B5<1, because once you changed the first term of my original function, that forced it to return “wait” until A5 goes over 1. In that case A5+B5 will always be greater than 1 unless B5 is negative. If it is possible for B5 to come up negative, then it does take a little more complicated expression.

If B5 cannot be negative:
=IF(A5>1,IF(B5>1,"Totals from calculated corner weights","Totals from 4 input corners"),"wait")

If B5 can be negative:
=IF(AND(A5>1,A5+B5>=1),IF(B5>1,"Totals from calculated corner weights","Totals from 4 input corners"),"wait")

Of course, once you have 1 expression that works, you don’t really need another, but I think the simplest function is usually best.

Back