Help with finding more power.

I have a non hemi predator with a billet flywheel and billet.040 rod and hemi flat top piston. I am also running a bsp-3 cam with 22lb springs on a stock head. I have a .625 s/a cheater carb as well. I made 14.62 hp at 5300 rpm and 17.25 tq at 3300 rpm on 93. I want to stay 93 or maybe go e85. What can I do to get more power out of it? I have looked at a black mamba cam but can't decide on which one. Thanks for all help and advice in advance.

What kind of racing are you doing?
I'd say you are a 390 carb or 22mm Mikuni and a better cam away from a couple more HP. Cam selection needs to fit what kind of racing/track you are on.

Compression is the holy Grail!! What's your compression ratio? You need to know the CC's in the combustion chamber. If the CC's are stock, you don't need high-octane gas. If you go to E85, you will have to put in a bigger high speed and low speed jet.

1-3 rockers or port work would be my choice both are cheap... The port would prob do more good then then the 1-3... The head has to flow to keep up with the lift

Compression is the holy Grail!! What's your compression ratio? You need to know the CC's in the combustion chamber. If the CC's are stock, you don't need high-octane gas. If you go to E85, you will have to put in a bigger high speed and low speed jet.

How do you know it is the holy grail? Reading your post it is apparent that your engine knowledge is limited which is fine. Giving bad advice to people trying to learn should be avoided and treated as a special opportunity to pass on carefully thought out correct information. That being said a good intake port is far more important than compression. Running e-85 is a bad idea. You see allot of people run it with great success but they are forced induction. E-85 has a great cooling effect. I sometimes put it in my turbo powered car and it helps. There are excellent head porters on this forum as many have posted there numbers. Buy one of these and you will have spent your money well with big hp gains. Check out Young Engines, Sneaks or Brad H. These guys are good at this and they can help you with your combination.

I am running a small bullring track. Its a run what ya brung class with predator clone and honda engines. Its all for fun with like 10 other guys I know. I want more power but I want it reliable as well.

Also I was think e85 for that reason as I have got a bit more horsepower in my turbo cars off just switching to e85 so it was just a thought.

E85 in karts is a pain... The amount of ethanal changes too much.. Ive tryed running it an there is power gains to be had! But I had to play with jets soo much it wasn't worth it... 1-3 rockers you can find pretty cheap look at nr racing or I think smallenginecams.com still sells them? The stamped steel will work well for u... Just watch for coil bind in yoursprings you may need 26lbs springs for added space?

Sounds like you need a "off the turns" cam and not a top end cam then. I've done tons of research as of late and I'd give the NR Racing 274-0207 or the 274-0211 cam a try. A ratio rocker can be easily added to the intake valve at any time just make sure it doesn't coil bind.

How do you know it is the holy grail?
Fact is, no matter what else you may due to the engine, if you increase the compression, with the proper fuel octane to match, you will make more horsepower.

It's one of the reasons minimum CC's are controled in the stock class.

Last edited:
Back