Help with new LARGE track

I normally run at a 1/5 mile medium banked track. I will be running a one off event at a 3/8 mile track usually used for cars (Penton Motor Speedway). I will be running Clone Super Heavy at 400 lbs. What gear should I start with on something like this? I am thinking a 20, but I could be WAY off. Also, it is an open tire rule. I assume I would want something harder due to needing roll speed. What do you guys recommend?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 29
I normally run at a 1/5 mile medium banked track. I will be running a one off event at a 3/8 mile track usually used for cars (Penton Motor Speedway). I will be running Clone Super Heavy at 400 lbs. What gear should I start with on something like this? I am thinking a 20, but I could be WAY off. Also, it is an open tire rule. I assume I would want something harder due to needing roll speed. What do you guys recommend?
Based on track size alone it would be a 20 driver however never being prepared for karts before track will be dry with no grip, start on a 18/63 for that big of a track don't target your normal 6800 plus rpm’s about 200 less than that should be good.
If I had to pick one tire a new set of maxxis Pinks with 80cc of internal wiped outside with quite a few Coats of a medium based prep will go good only 3/4" rear stagger.

Based on track size alone it would be a 20 driver however never being prepared for karts before track will be dry with no grip, start on a 18/63 for that big of a track don't target your normal 6800 plus rpm’s about 200 less than that should be good.
If I had to pick one tire a new set of maxxis Pinks with 80cc of internal wiped outside with quite a few Coats of a medium based prep will go good only 3/4" rear stagger.
Outstanding, thank you!

We've had the same situation here for like last 20 yrs lots of testing behind the info I gave you, now with that being said white maxxis weren't available until now if our annual race were to happen again here I'd have a few sets along, if it dries out low grip, ( and it will ) yes it's big track so roll speed is important BUT you cannot go to high on air that you can't get through the corners as you'll never make that up, I'd expect 6 an 5 air early and 7 an 6 later to be max you'll get away with and not slide to much in the turns.
Good luck !!

What chassis are you running and give all details of you current set up numbers, including castor and cambers.
I am on a 19 Deuce. From my understanding that should be a pretty good chassis for such a large track due to its stiffness. I might try to get some white Maxxis tires. I have a few sets of pinks already.

Nose: 45.0%
Left: 60%
Cross: 65.0-66.0%

LF: Camber: +0.25 | Caster: 8 | Toe: 0
RF: Camber: -2.50 to -2.75 | Caster: 12 | Toe: 1/8" Out

Last edited:
I am on a 19 Deuce. From my understanding that should be a pretty good chassis for such a large track due to its stiffness. I might try to get some white Maxxis tires. I have a few sets of pinks already.

Nose: 45.0%
Left: 60%
Cross: 65.0-66.0%

LF: Camber: +0.25 | Caster: 8 | Toe: 0
RF: Camber: -2.50 to -2.75 | Caster: 12 | Toe: 1/8" Out
Numbers are good, for the big track reduce castor split to 9 an 11 , make sure RF camber is atleast 2.75 to 3, set toe straight up, those adjustments will help with roll speed.
Good luck !!

Back