Help!!!!!!!

Ultramax37

Ok guy I just bought a flathead for my son who runs a purple plate... The motor I just bought was built for an adult class if I re jet and install the purple plate will it run correctly..... New to racing this year any info is appreciated!!

It will run OK , but it won't be optimized for the purple plate. Because of the fact that your gonna turn much less rpm, the valve spring pressures need to be lower to float the valves at a lower rpm for max lift but you should be able to use the same cam. The ignition timing could stand more advance because of putting a bunch of fuel to it. And the engine clearances generally need to be looser. Carb can be optimized for a purple, setting flow while increasing fuel signal. Exhaust system also has special requirements, smaller dia. and longer because of the lower rpm. Jon

i wouldnt because an unrestricted stocke has heavier valve springs a different cam carb is probably to big it just wont work out i woul take it appart put 17 pound springs on inkake 15 ponds on exhaus change the cam to a restricted one buy a throtle shaft set up for purple/blue and jet it at 60-62 and it should run good.

You're new to racing. You most likely won't optimize the rest of your program, (driving, tires, chassis set-up), so I doubt that you need to worry about optimizing your engine program just yet. Get a few races under your belts and then spend some time and money on building up exactly what you need.

For now, put a 60 jet in it and start making laps. Will it be peak performance? Absolutely not. Will it get you making laps? Absolutely.
Go have some fun before you have to start spending money to go faster. :)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

IMO Listen to this Carlson guy, he seems pretty sharp ;);) UltraMax - Put the bigger jet in, go have some fun and learn, learn, learn. It will be fine. .060" jet is a good starting point.

Dave E.

Can you just automatically assume he's running Alky? What about the jet, can you just automatically assume where he's racing? He could be in Denver for all we know.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Al, if you knew anything about 4-strokes and plate classes, then you'd know that they are run on alky almost everywhere.
did you say, "almost everywhere"? Before recommending a jet, wouldn't it be prudent to ask what fuel he's running? You know what happens when you assume!

"Anything about 4-strokes" don't insult me Jack, please!!

Ease up, Al. He said "4-stroke and plate classes," of which you've repeatedly shown a lack of knowledge on here.

Please, stick to what you know when giving advice.

Let's face it Al, you are way too sensitive, to the point where you seem incapable of accepting any constructive criticism, let's just face the facts that you no longer race, you've never built or raced a 4-stroke, raced an oval or on dirt. Listen to Carlson, stick with what you know, most of us have no problem with that.

Ease up, Al. He said "4-stroke and plate classes," of which you've repeatedly shown a lack of knowledge on here.
Please, stick to what you know when giving advice.
without getting into the details, let it suffice that I do not have to, "ease up" and please don't tell me what to do or not do!

I pointed out that................. never mind.

Ok guy I just bought a flathead for my son who runs a purple plate... The motor I just bought was built for an adult class if I re jet and install the purple plate will it run correctly..... New to racing this year any info is appreciated!!

OK, to appease Al, Where do you live, where are you racing, and what fuel are you using? If you are running gas, use the Stock Jet ( .032 I think it is, been a while ) if it's Alky you could leave it out and it will still run, just not real good on the Top End. As Brian said waaaaay earlier, start at .060" and have FUN with your son. Some of the best memories I have with my Boys is when they were young and racing Purple / Gold Plate. Those were the days.

Dave.

^ It is VERY rare anymore, BUT, there are a few backyard type tracks that still have a rookie/beginner box stock flathead on gas that I am aware of. Probability of 1:10,000 I am guessing. Better chance that he is running below sea level actually. But I digress.

UMax37, hopefully we answered your question sufficiently.

Back