Hemi Predator Performance Package

Chuck D

I'm looking at a Senior Predator class that will allow me by the rules to do the following:

* Remove fuel tank, air box, oil level sensor, and governor
* Install Header, Muffler, Air Filter and Adaptor, Change Carb Jetting
* No modifications to Block, Crank, Rod, Piston, Cam, Cylinder Head, Carb, or Valve Train other than install legal 10.8 valve springs

Stock flywheel is a must but timing key appears to be non-tech item as its not mentioned.

Question is two fold. One, stick with the stock key or advance the timing and by how much?

Secondly, what am I missing here in an effort to squeeze a few extra tenths of a pony out of the powerplant ? Not interested in cheating but I was thinking about cleaning up the factory valve job, maybe a set of low tension piston rings, .....

Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but, shouldn't you be changing the flywheel if you remove the governor on that. I've heard horror stories of those things coming apart at higher RPM's than the 5500 the governor will allow.

I didn't make the rules, just tasked with following them.

Now, how about some input on the questions I asked ?

I'd ask the track about their rules.....just because it doesn't say that you can't, doesn't mean that you CAN.
I'm treading a grey area here but I'd like to see more tracks just add the tiny little bit of text that you see in the 206 spec at the very end that reads something like "If it doesn't say you can, then you CAN'T."
If you advance timing and get caught you will try to argue that "it doesn't say I can't"...but you will never win that argument.

By what you stated . Advance the timing 3 degrees .
Touching up the seats is problay illegal .
Would be a plus though .
Same with non factory rings .
Get you a good carb from Jerry Dover .

Handpick cam to suit rest of parts.Matching of all parts. May narrow powerband at the expense of overall range.
Do what best suits the track.
More power in narrow range may be an advantage on a momentum track.
Tuning what you already have may be the best advantage.
Slip gear on crank to change centerline.
Anything that reduces friction frees up power
Rod clearance is one.

all of these gray areas is EXACTLY why i quit running preds. and now run a sealed motor class!
Not badmouthing anyone.

If you believe the seal stops all of the above, you are pretty naive.

Sooner, (likely immediately) or later, someone will take advantage of the belief the seal prevents tampering, or at the least, cherry picking the best parts.
Now you have made the non tech parts also more expensive that have a perceived advantage.

As long as everyone passes the same tech, all is well, right?

Even with a gentlemens agreement, not all who agreed are gentlemen

Last edited:
Back