Hemi rocker problems

mike97760

Site Supporter
I've got a hemi engine that came from a reputable shop (bought it from original purchaser) that had a lot of work done to it at the shop. Ran it 4 or 5 races, very quick, then it quit running one night. Turns out it had stock rockers in spite of the fact the invoice stated must use roller rockers, the stockers bent and broke. Well fine. I bought aluminum 1.2 roller rockers for it and began having problems with the E-clips coming off the pivot shaft. Replaced shafts and clips with new ones, next race same problem. Tried a 3rd time, same result. Switched to the steel 1.2 rockers, again with new shafts and clips, same result. Anybody have the same issues? Whats the fix?

E clips aren't my favorite . Snap rings if you can find them .
Drill through shaft use a through bolt or tap and use 2 button heads and washers .
I'm a welder tack a washer on both sides .
New shaft with shoulder on one side other side better keeper groove.

If they are from NR Racing they need a shorter pushrod due to the fact the lash adj is on the pushrod side so your problem would be bent pushrods not E clips coming off. It could be the clip / clips are not secure in the rocker shaft groove.

Ok.... after looking at this design I could see that e clip becoming a problem. It states requires different pushrods were those changed? With it being a hemi and side loading the valve it could over time cause this, also if you don’t have adequate retainer to guide clearance or coil bind clearance I could see everything bottoming out at the valve end and it swelling the body of the rocker due to the chromoly pushrod still moving (or trying to) and possibly popping those clips off. Try an external snap ring and check your clearances to make sure your not binding up anywhere.

Back