heres a discussions for business owers/employers

When a employee turns in his 2 week notice what makes that person all of a sudden worth higher pay.

I have to ask because before this, throught out the year's there has been no money for raises. I was offerd a job with a higher pay and a few more hours a week at time and a half. I turned in my 2 week notice and 3 hours later I am worth more money and overtime ?

Retaining someone at the same wage is cheaper than giving them a raise and if times are tough then that is often what people will do and more often than not they will get away with it. Giving that same person a raise is often cheaper than recruiting and training a new person if that employee was good at what they do. At the time you are about to loose a person it may become more cost effective to pay them more. I have not seen very many people come out on the winning side of that equation so it speaks volumes to the work you do. This is actually a compliment but it doesn't feel like it.

They're trying to tell you they like you and want to keep you. Not good go running around the shop telling everyone at this point, weigh your options and make your decision. Longevity has value. If you stay make them glad you did.

Agreed on the tight-lipped stance. It never benefits anyone to know what each other makes, only causes resentment. As someone who this has happened to, I didn't really take the offer of a raise as a compliment. The way I saw it was that they already knew I was worth the extra money, but had been cheating me out of it for some time. I moved on to another employer who immediately gave me a two dollar raise plus a company vehicle, but I didn't burn the bridge with the old employer.

Agreed on the tight-lipped stance. It never benefits anyone to know what each other makes, only causes resentment. As someone who this has happened to, I didn't really take the offer of a raise as a compliment. The way I saw it was that they already knew I was worth the extra money, but had been cheating me out of it for some time. I moved on to another employer who immediately gave me a two dollar raise plus a company vehicle, but I didn't burn the bridge with the old employer.

I agree with you. I took a job with low pay because it was my only option. A place that I had interviewed with before I took this low paying job, called me 8 months later and made me an offer of 25% more than I was making the last 8 months. I accepted the job and gave notice at the current employer. He immediately offered 15% increase and another 15% in 6 months. He low balled me bad when I was in need of work. I didn't accept even tho it would have been more than the new offer. But I never expected that extra 15% in the next 6 months either. Just because of the way he did business, I took the offer with the new place and never looked back.

I have been on both sides of your situation throughout my career. I have been the one turning in the resignation gotten a raise because of it and also had my resignation accepted. Also, I have paid guys more to stay, I have accepted their notice and I have also walked them out the day they turned in their notice. (Mainly because I knew they would be useless for two weeks)

I look at it like this. Say you want to buy a kart from someone that you really, really have to have. Of course you offer them less than what they want for it hoping that they accept and you get it for less so you can spend more money elsewhere on tires and such. However, you already have the cash for the asking price in your pocket just in case they say no.

You're skills and abilities are the kart, you are the person selling them, you can make a deal, or wait for the next buyer.

Simple dont give a 2 week notice, unless your in a union or you signed a document stating you would give 2 weeks notice

The reason is exactly as DirtyBoy's said. It will cost the company to train a new person and it will take time to get them to the level of efficiency that the person leaving was at. Either way it costs money. Keeping a good employee at a slightly higher wage causes less overall disruptions in the total business. Please don't confuse good with any because I've seen the scale tip the other way - meaning the company was more than happy to train someone new rather than put up with the person who was threatening to leave.

I dont understand all the fuss.....a business is in existence for one reason...to make money...the less money they pay you, the more money they make. Why would they give you $20 an hour when they know your willing to do the job for $15 an hour? Thats simple economics.

About 86% of bosses wait for their employees to ask them and propose a raise. The key word is proposed, which isn't the same as begging. Have to have some sort of leverage, could be another offer or satisticall data

I dont understand all the fuss.....a business is in existence for one reason...to make money...the less money they pay you, the more money they make. Why would they give you $20 an hour when they know your willing to do the job for $15 an hour? Thats simple economics.

You are quite correct, but I guess I am, for all my cynicism, still idealistic enough at heart to think that the employer/employee relationship should still be a personal relationship based on a certain amount of respect.

You are quite correct, but I guess I am, for all my cynicism, still idealistic enough at heart to think that the employer/employee relationship should still be a personal relationship based on a certain amount of respect.
That is indeed a naive view, of a business relationship.
Why should an employer pay you more than you are willing to work for? Will you increase your productivity in exchange for the raise in pay?? Probably not!

That is indeed a naive view, of a business relationship.
Why should an employer pay you more than you are willing to work for? Will you increase your productivity in exchange for the raise in pay?? Probably not!

Actually, it's the historical view. People used to respect each other in this country, and employers knew that good employee morale and loyalty were tied together. And while short-term profits should be a high priority, they shouldn't necessarily be the highest. Adam Smith ("Wealth of Nations") who literally wrote the book on Capitalism, recognized that morality played a big part in the preservation of the system. That includes how you treat your fellow man... That said, salaries are a negotiation, and pandamonium would ensue if every had the same salary or everyone's salaries were known. The workplace doesn't have a good way at the moment of paying people what they're worth -- and every employee contributes different value levels to the company because we each have different skills, capabilities, and rates of working.

Your lucky.

Where I worked if you turned in a 2 weeks notice or said your were giving your 2 weeks notice, this is the standard reply.

"Thank you but we do not need 2 weeks notice, I accept your resignation effective immediately. Turn in all your company owned property at this time and I wish you well in your new carrier.

Your lucky.

Where I worked if you turned in a 2 weeks notice or said your were giving your 2 weeks notice, this is the standard reply.

"Thank you but we do not need 2 weeks notice, I accept your resignation effective immediately. Turn in all your company owned property at this time and I wish you well in your new carrier.

It probably depends on the type of job/career. Some places appreciate the time to be able to find a replacement. Also if someone doesn't give me a 2 weeks notice they may end up burning a bridge if they ever want to come back.

It probably depends on the type of job/career. Some places appreciate the time to be able to find a replacement. Also if someone doesn't give me a 2 weeks notice they may end up burning a bridge if they ever want to come back.

your in the minority, Ive seen it time and time again, they say they would like a 2 week notice, and as soon as they give it they are asked to leave.
If I quit a job, you can bet I wont ever be back, theres a reason I quit

I've had 5 jobs in my life since age 18.

I have given 2 weeks at 2
Been asked to stay for 3 months to find and train my replacement at a machine shop I ran. (had a child and wanted to be closer to home)
Handed in my resignation letter and walked out the door at the last one. (bipolar, megalomaniac, tyrant boss and it was effecting my health)

The one that I stayed for 3 months was used as a reference for my current employer. He said he would hire me back in a minute.

As an employer and an employee, you get what you give IMO.

The guys that worked for me at the machine shop still stay in touch. I still visit the shop and bring in lunch for them from time to time and always get invited to the shop Christmas party.

Back