Hex key sizes/other tools needed?

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

I'm hoping to get a kart in the near future. In the meantime I'm collecting some of the tools needed.

From the LO206 torque spec page I see:
Sockets:
7mm
10mm
3/8"
7/16"
15/16"
5/8" (spark plug)

Allen:
5mm
1/8"

Are there other common sizes used on the chassis/tires/bearings or is it really specific to the kart? It's possible to buy a lot of this stuff a la carte so I might get doubles of the ones that get used a lot.

Anything on the kart, basically.
Spend a day wrenching on your kart, and pick out what works the best for you.
Have everything that it takes to go after anything on the kart.

Plus universal 'save my butt' items like hammer, punch, chisel, channel-lock pliers, vise-grip pliers.
Kart style chain press, a piston stop, small tape measure.

Having the hammer & chisel saved our but at a race 300 miles from home once, when the spindle bearing in a Margay shattered, and Margay did not leave any way to get at just the outer race to remove it.
Thankfully, I had a 1/4" chisel in the tool box, and was able to carve a notch behind the race in order to get a punch to it, and tap it out. Took all the time between heats to get it done, but we made the grid.

You don't need to carry a full metric/SAE tool set, just the wrenches & sockets that work on your kart.
All my race day tools fit into one small 6 x 6 x 16 metal tool box, with room to spare.

You can adjust as you go along.
I would pick up single wrenches, so that all my main tools stayed at home.
That way, I never 'barrowed' anything from the kart tools, when doing something at home, and forget to put it back.

I carry 1/4" and 5/16. Probably should carry the equivalent in metric .
You should be adapt at using a hell coil .
If your not able there is no need .

Or just get good enough at turning wrenches to not need them.
Otherwise where do you stop?
Bring a full machine shop, and welding department with you ?
Only if payout is in the thousands.

Maybe a good modern cordless drill, a few things like rotary files, sanding roles & mandrel, a couple of files, and a roll of emery paper,
and of course a helicoil kit, or two, and a few taps for holes that are not totally screwed.
But it's easy to just make things worse if you are a novice, and in a rush.

If you're using Bully or Tomar clutches (I suppose there are others too) they need a 3/16 x .150 key. Stinger uses a 3/16 x 5x16 key. Easy to lose in the grass in pit areas.

If you're using Bully or Tomar clutches (I suppose there are others too) they need a 3/16 x .150 key. Stinger uses a 3/16 x 5x16 key. Easy to lose in the grass in pit areas.

Awe, that never happens, unless you have no time to search for it.
Lol.

Smokey Yunick said to bring a "pair and a spare".

Great advice, if you can do that. Learn what you need, and carry those things first.

As far as tools, every tool you feel comfortable using in the pits.
Development of proper comfort level is another thing.

Good luck.

If you are going to adjust the valves on the metric engines you will need a 15 mm or AKA a 5/8 open or box end wrench and a 4 mm hex AKA allen wrench or 5/32
If you want to keep the engine fasteners the same as it comes from the factory you would want a 6 X 1 mm helicoil ? thread insert kit.
Here's a handy tool that helps get the helicoils in straight.

Helicoil_Helper-330x245.jpg

Back