Hey Paul Kish...more on the Interstate question

nogoats

This is a continuation of a thread that must have left with the old web page. It's about traveling on the Interstate and running the shortest line possible. I asked if it would make a difference in saving time or travel distance. Paul said it did. Not that I doubted him, but I recently tried it on about a 20 mile stretch I drive to the races every week. It was safe to move from lane to lane because there isn't much traffic on that stretch of road.

Driving the shortest way, inside on the curves and not abruptly changing lanes, I drove 20.5 miles. Driving only in the right lane, I drove 20.7 miles. So it was .2 miles shorter in 20 miles. Assuming that road has an average number of curves, in 100 miles you would arrive 1 mile sooner. In 1000 miles you would get there 10 miles sooner and what I drive would save a little over a gallon of fuel.

So, there you are. Go on with your day knowing you have been enriched.

This is a continuation of a thread that must have left with the old web page. It's about traveling on the Interstate and running the shortest line possible. I asked if it would make a difference in saving time or travel distance. Paul said it did. Not that I doubted him, but I recently tried it on about a 20 mile stretch I drive to the races every week. It was safe to move from lane to lane because there isn't much traffic on that stretch of road.

Driving the shortest way, inside on the curves and not abruptly changing lanes, I drove 20.5 miles. Driving only in the right lane, I drove 20.7 miles. So it was .2 miles shorter in 20 miles. Assuming that road has an average number of curves, in 100 miles you would arrive 1 mile sooner. In 1000 miles you would get there 10 miles sooner and what I drive would save a little over a gallon of fuel.

So, there you are. Go on with your day knowing you have been enriched.

wow... ... that's bout the nicest post I ever read. I did it all the way back from a school in a company van from Atlanta to Youngstown Ohio.

by the way... because of the line I took and it being on the way home, my early arrival may have had something to do with an enhanced speed too. ... :) ... I'm sure it's an exaggeration but I what I remember is I knocked 2 hours off the trip. proly ain't remembering that long ago right either. ... :)

edit: just for a little clarification. The Atlanta I use to go to school in was not in Georgia. The highway from land to Atlanta is not traveled very much, though it's been around for many years. That's bout all I can say about it if I want to continue saying. ... later Ancient Aliens is coming on and I get such a laugh out of the program, I can't miss it.

by the way... did you know when Bush 1 said we were not going into Iraq for their oil he was telling the truth. We went there to remove ancient evidence of pre Biblical writings and maps. nuff said?

guess I'd better throw a smiley face in here at the end. ... :)

even if it's meaningless

Back