Higher or lower cross???

T-roy

Which way makes a kart push in and which one will loosen it in?? I have read both ways in different articles. I have a kart that pushes and he has to stab the brake to get it to turn. Thought he may be driving it in too hard, but still wont turn in if he takes it easy.

You would only go to cross adjustment for a push to tweak it if slight, then if you were to adjust it you would lower cross, for what your describing provided your tires are close and it's not all tire related, add nose weight, Lower RF neg camber, or both first,
Also even though it has more effect off the turn than into make sure you have enough rear stagger.

Last edited:
You would only go to cross adjustment for a push to tweak it if slight, then if you were to adjust it you would lower cross, for what your describing provided your tires are close and it's not all tire related, add nose weight, Lower RF neg camber, or both first.
I had planned to lower the RF camber. I was asking the cross question for just general info.. And I hope when it is said "lower RF camber" that means go from -2.75 to -2.00. Not -2.75 to -3.25??? Right??

I had planned to lower the RF camber. I was asking the cross question for just general info.. And I hope when it is said "lower RF camber" that means go from -2.75 to -2.00. Not -2.75 to -3.25??? Right??
Yes, but not that much of a change If -2.75 drop to -2.50

Can someone answer the higher cross , lower cross question. Please. At the moment I have read it both ways. I think loose in you NEED higher cross and push in you NEED lower cross. IS THAT RIGHT????

If I move the LR out, The cross is higher. So you are saying to do both? Move LR out then put our cross back where it was?????
I do not understand part of this. How does moving the left rear out raise cross ?
You are moving the point of contact further from the center of gravity , it should go down .
Is this something you have seen on the scales with this chassis ?

I do not understand part of this. How does moving the left rear out raise cross ?
You are moving the point of contact further from the center of gravity , it should go down .
Is this something you have seen on the scales with this chassis ?
Yes. Went up 3% after moving the LR out 3/4" , maybe 1". I moved it out before a race. Rescaled it after the race & thats What came up.

Sounds like your set - up balance is off, what chassis are you on ? what are current rear wheel spacing's inside edge of wheels to frame LR & RR, What are your current numbers ? what are current cambers ? which class & weight ? Measurement top of axle to back top of seat ?

Can someone answer the higher cross , lower cross question. Please. At the moment I have read it both ways. I think loose in you NEED higher cross and push in you NEED lower cross. IS THAT RIGHT????

Here is your answer: both !

Every kart has a magic cross number usually around 54-56%. If you are below that, less cross will loosen you up. If you are above that % adding cross will loosen you up. Low cross set ups are sometimes faster, but take several laps to fire off. High cross setup s fire off faster but fade with long runs.

Here is your answer: both !

Every kart has a magic cross number usually around 54-56%. If you are below that, less cross will loosen you up. If you are above that % adding cross will loosen you up. Low cross set ups are sometimes faster, but take several laps to fire off. High cross setup s fire off faster but fade with long runs.
Say What ?????

Okay let's back up.... my interpretation is that adding cross will give the RF more load on entry and thus make the kart looser and on exit it will be tighter since more load will be on the LR. However, if you kept cranking cross to it you would get to a point where you overload the RF and because of the relationship between load on a tire vs. grip (the more load the more grip but this is not linear so curve tapers off) you will actually start to push on entry

Back