Hillard Flame engagment

So roughly 2500rpm.
This should help.

Attachments

• hilliard-clutch-spring.jpg
    hilliard-clutch-spring.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 73
That chart is actually somewhat misleading. Read the bottom where it says it’s not the lock up speed but when the shoe first touches. Probably need to add another 400 rpm for actual lockup.

Gary Lawson
Lawson Speed Shop

^ exactly -- rule of thumb is to add 500 rpm to that chart.
That chart shows, what I refer to, as "chatter engagement" when the shoes just start to engage the drum.
Watch on your Mychron while you acellerate in a straight line -- the rpm should increase steadily, then drop, then increase some more, and likely drop another time or two. That very first time that you see the rpm drop is your actual clutch engagement rpm. Note, excessive drops after that indicate clutch chatter and would be indicative of the clutch needing maintenance.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

That chart is actually somewhat misleading. Read the bottom where it says it’s not the lock up speed but when the shoe first touches. Probably need to add another 400 rpm for actual lockup.

Gary Lawson
Lawson Speed Shop
so running 4 black springs instead of 2 black and 2 white on a LO206, would that keep the clutch engaged more

so running 4 black springs instead of 2 black and 2 white on a LO206, would that keep the clutch engaged more
Softer springs or more weights would keep it engaged more. Engaged doesn’t actually mean it’s better if you are below peak torque though

With as flat as the torque curve is on these engines, I'd rather err under the peak than over it on a track that might cause enough drop in rpm to disengage the clutch.
Rarely is engaging and disengaging the clutch on every lap going to result in better lap times than engaging it once at the drop of the green flag.
There are exceptions to be sure, but they would be very technical tracks with very slow hairpin corners.

So would two white and two black springs be too much engagement for a box stock predator. I think peak torque is around 3600. The black and white springs are supposed to be 3400. Thanks

Back