Hillard Flame vs Stinger drum clutch

Hillard is better by far . almost a full pound lighter if the stinger has the thick drum. you cannot fine tune a stinger like you can a Hillard. you will also save money. get the kit with a bully conversion. beware of the rocket rim, its a rebadged stinger.

Stinger is good . More surface area , more difficult to change springs .
I alwys liked them .
Durable , takes bully drivers .
Do i have to use the special crank spacer washers on the stinger or can i use two flat washers which equals the 1/16 of the inch that equals the crank spacer washer

You can use washers . Should file or grind a chamfer in the id of one or both .
Is this ok for the outside? Or need the hat washer?

Attachments

• 67F8FA8A-36A7-479E-A2F7-83CFB216B56A.jpeg
    67F8FA8A-36A7-479E-A2F7-83CFB216B56A.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 0873EE76-D55B-48D2-817E-21AD5E7FC405.jpeg
    0873EE76-D55B-48D2-817E-21AD5E7FC405.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 18
No . You need a couple 1/4 inch washers that a 5/16 bolt will go through . As spacers . May have to file fit or sand if two are too much end play .
The bolt and washer has too bear on the crankshaft not the clutch .

Do i have to use the special crank spacer washers on the stinger or can i use two flat washers which equals the 1/16 of the inch that equals the crank spacer washer
If you used the spacer between the crank and clutch you wouldn't have such a gap. A 3/4 diameter front hub spacer works fine if you dont want to buy the the crank spacer.

No . You need a couple 1/4 inch washers that a 5/16 bolt will go through . As spacers . May have to file fit or sand if two are too much end play .
The bolt and washer has too bear on the crankshaft not the clutch
If you used the spacer between the crank and clutch you wouldn't have such a gap. A 3/4 diameter front hub spacer works fine if you dont want to buy the the crank spacer.
So at
i borrowed this clutch
I should go out and buy the proper spacers that come with the clutch. I did not get any of those from the guy

I prefer the Hilliard with Bully conversion.
Easier to work on, tune, and maintain.
It's what probably 90% of our L206 customers order.

Nothing wrong with a Stinger though too. Some folks prefer them.

If you have either clutch set up correctly, you will be happy.
-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

It has free movment on the shaft ie : endplay ?
Whats on the other end ?
.020 - .000 . long term it can damage the keyway .
I have ran them with that much .
Is that a stepped washer/spacer ?

It has free movment on the shaft ie : endplay ?
Whats on the other end ?
.020 - .000 . long term it can damage the keyway .
I have ran them with that much .
Is that a stepped washer/spacer ?
Yes free movement on shaft and endplay
The other end is the chamfer spacer that comes with it also yes the stepped spacer washer picked them both up today

Or i can just file down the stepped washer for a closer fit. Just dont file down so close where its locked down tight against the clutch correct

I float all of our disc clutches and minimize endplay with drum clutches.
I would prefer to float them all, but we have seen a lot of keyway wear specifically on the ohv (L206 & clone) engines if we run endplay with a drum clutch.
Interestingly enough -- in classes that use these same engines and disc clutches, we do not see (as much) keyway wear on the crank.

Yes free movement on shaft and endplay
The other end is the chamfer spacer that comes with it also yes the stepped spacer washer picked them both up today

Or i can just file down the stepped washer for a closer fit. Just dont file down so close where its locked down tight against the clutch correct
Anyway too guesstimate or tell exactly how much play that is .
A feeler gauge would work .
Keeping it square would be the main concern .
I would race it .

Anyway too guesstimate or tell exactly how much play that is .
A feeler gauge would work .
Keeping it square would be the main concern .
I would race it .
Lines up all good seems to work well. When kart on the stand wheels are spinning on its own,my flame clutch did also seems like the stinger is faster though. Is this normal.?

Back