Hilliard Extreme Clutch - exchange sprockets 17-19t / drums Inferno?

JB-Boozer

Have a clutch question, if I have a Hilliard Extreme Duty clutch, how much is interchangeable with the Inferno series, say the Fury?

I'd like to first change the extreme duty 12T sprocket with a Fury 17 or 19T sprocket. Later maybe also get the Fury machined drum.

I'm running a stock flathead raptor3, so low hp, just wanting some flexibility.

Thanks
John B

finally found out via the company, finally answered me...

All parts interchange between Extreme Duty and entire Inferno line.
however, in addition to Inferno having machined drum, also the hub is heat treated and comes with a protective guard plate.
Extreme Duty is just stamped drum, and non-heat treated hub, and does not come with protective guard...also I'm gathering that the ED sprocket is not as tough as Inferno sprocket.

One person at Hilliard said to be careful with the non-heat treated hub - "don't remove the governor" and a piece of their literature states not to exceed 5,000 rpm

another Hilliard person said that both Extreme and Inferno hubs have been tested to hold 8,000 rpm

Inferno heat treated hub runs about $17 and includes the guard plate....machined drum is about $25 I believe...

seems like a cool design, and fully interchangeable is nice...

PS - I emailed every authorized dealer in GA and FL, and only got back 1 response....wow that's just sad....

Its not the rpm that is hard on the hubs or causes them to break, its horsepower or the force put on the clutch when an engine seizes up or locks up or some other failure happens, from my experience. Most of the dealers dont even take the time to respond is another thing i have noticed, but Shannon Halbert in Ky will respond and help you any way he can, he is also a Hilliard dealer. I cant remember the name of Shannons buisness but i think its GoFastHP. For the price difference, the machined drum is worth the extra bit you pay because they are more true, which provides a better and more consistent lockup. Be sure to clean the shoes and drum with WD-40 before using the clutch, they come with some sort of preservative on them that you cant see. Get you an extra set of black springs and use 4 black springs in the clutch if you are using it on a clone engine. They are good clutches for box stock class and JR classes, much better than the MaxTorque or other clutches in that price range. They will last a long time with proper maintenance. I would reccoemnd getting the Fury or Flame with the Bully conversion drum rather than the Extreme Duty though, you can buy the E.D clutch at any tractor supply store for around $30 if i remember right, that may save you some money on shipping if you choose to go with the extreme duty. The bully conversion drum will allow you to use Bully style drivers, which just about every parts trailer at the track stocks and sells.....not many stock the hilliard drivers for the clutches.

yeah, i was kind of wondering about the 'force vs RPM' argument there...i know a steel flywheel may crack up under high RPM, but i was a little confused that a small solid block of steel could rip itself to shreds by the same RPM as the flywheel detonation.

Haven't noticed any online at tractor stores...I see the ED here and there for about $55
I know I know I should get the Inferno line...but for now just need to get this kart running and the bugs out and terrorize some the 'hood kids and old biddies.
plus I have a ton of Amazon gift credits, and ED is the best clutch I can get there.
plan is to update the clutch as needed when/if I get back to the track and depending how often I'm able to go.
later plan to replace my flathead with animal/clone engine, and put the flathead on a minibike.
By that time with all the upgrading, I should have two clutches...ED for the minibike and inferno for the kart. i know, i'm dumb lol...
(thanks for the Black Springs tip, first upgrade!)

Just be sure to keep the bushing in the drum oiled so it doesnt seize up on you and itll last a very long time. Spray the clutch with wd-40 and wipe off with a rag to clean it

Back