Hilliard Flame Clutch (needle) install/maintenance

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

I have a Hilliard Flame clutch with the needle bearing in my LO206 kit.

I found this this install doc which looks good:
http://www.bmikarts.com/pdf/fire_manual.pdf

After the initial install to grease the needle bearing does the cluch need to be pulled off the kart? Or is there some clever way to shoot grease in there?

Needle bearings require very little lubrication.
Try using an oil can with a long thin nozzle and put a drop of oil at the outboard end of the clutch drum where the needle bearing is.
Like Flattop says don't over so it. You don't want to get oil on the friction surfaces.

My preference would be to have the clutch sprocket inboard. Hilliard recommends this and it seems safer to the chain way inside the clutch guard. On the chassis I have though it looks like the clutch may need to mounted outboard.

In order for the axle sprocket to clear one of the frame tubes that sprocket needs to be fairly far in. If I run the clutch inboard the crankshaft may stick out too far and hit the seat.

I'm going to get a smaller seat anyway. Is and inboard clutch sprocket better /safer?

Sounds like a 2 cycle kart you are trying to put a LO 206 on.
It can be somewhat of a challenge.
On some karts the chain will hit the crossmember. If you run into that issue its really a challenge.
I would want to mount the sprocket inboard but if you can't outboard will work just fine.
The shoe orientation is different for inboard or outboard.
You can still put a drop of oil on the clutch between the washer and the sprocket either way.

There is plenty of room for the motor. There is also plenty of room for the seat. It's just getting them both on at the same time that will be the issue. It's sold as more of 2 stroke kart but the manufacturer supports putting a LO206 on.

Back