Hilliard flame question

F1F21

I just got my new clutch and going to instal tomorrow on my predator. I’m a bit on the heavier side so I’m curious what’s the best starting point for springs? It came with white and black springs. I was told to run 2 black and 2 white to start but a few people. I am new to karting and still learning this stuff. Is the combo a good starting point? And just to be clear, I have zero idea if I want a higher or lower RPM engagement lol. So any and all input is welcome and completely appreciated!

i was also told by a local very fast open clone guy to bore out the holes for the weights on the shoes a bit. Is there an advantage to that or is it pointless?

Last edited:
Once you get the gage, first see what the engagement comes in at with just the black & white springs alternated as mentioned. Then if you need more hook-up then add 1 per shoe and try, then 2 per shoe and try. You can do this by testing on the driveway. Just mark off 20' and use a stop watch to see which set-up is faster from a dead stop to the 20' mark. You want the clutch to engage between 3800 - 4200 in most cases. As for drilling out the holes, NO. Keep in mind that who told you to do that is on a open clone. You don't want the weights moving around even if you do use the weights!!! Important question to you is, which way do you have the shoes facing?? We run the shoes with the end of the shoe to the back. Other way is more aggressive which you shouldn't need that in my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Once you get the gage, first see what the engagement comes in at with just the black & white springs alternated as mentioned. Then if you need more hook-up then add 1 per shoe and try, then 2 per shoe and try. You can do this by testing on the driveway. Just mark off 20' and use a stop watch to see which set-up is faster from a dead stop to the 20' mark. You want the clutch to engage between 3800 - 4200 in most cases. As for drilling out the holes, NO. Keep in mind that who told you to do that is on a open clone. You don't want the weights moving around even if you do use the weights!!! Important question to you is, which way do you have the shoes facing?? We run the shoes with the end of the shoe to the back. Other way is more aggressive which you shouldn't need that in my personal opinion.
Yes they are set to the back. I should be getting the engine back this week from the builder and will do this test. Thank you for the input I really appreciate it!

How about the opposite of this guys question. Stock predator, governed at 3900, and red restrictor plate. I have a guy near me asking questions and I really don't know what to tell him. Sorry for hijacking your thread F1F21.

Back