Hilliard flame springs for jr jr

Eric85629

I have read every thread I could find but dont think I've found an answer to my situation. Im looking for a quicker take off and have been using a cheap amazon clutch until today. My kids kart is a bone stock red plate predator. 230 pounds total weight (driver is apx 45 lbs). The rpm is limited to 3800. It idles around 1800 rpm. The track is a 1/5 mile & dusty.
I just installed a new Hilliard flame with white springs, inboard (sprocket between engine & clutch drum), and have the shoes leading (thin part forward). The paperwork says that the white springs engage at 2800 rpm. I'm hoping to learn how to properly set this up along with the advantages / dis advantages of higher or lower engagement rpms.

Last edited:
why 3800 rpm , rules ?
with that i would want lower to get a bigger rpm range .
Its part of the rules to help make a level playing field- 3800 rpm, drum clutch, 4.50 gearing, 34.5" max right rear tire diameter, 225 min weight, age 5-8.
My first guess was it needs a lower engagement rpm too. My reading mentioned that a higher engagement speed would allow the engine to speed up then maintain a higher rpm. On the flip side Im sure going too low would cause the engine to bog and not gain speed as quickly. What engagement speed would you guess is right?

Any where between 22-2500 . Too high and it could be unlocking in the corner .
That seems high for an idle if it does it does .
Momentum should trump off idle acceleration unless standing start or off track excursion's .

Any where between 22-2500 . Too high and it could be unlocking in the corner .
That seems high for an idle if it does it does .
Momentum should trump off idle acceleration unless standing start or off track excursion's .
I was thinking the engagement is a few hundred rpm too high. That video thread is helpful but im curious how much that tiny red plate restrictor will change the numbers

Not too much advice for this thread. I'll probably try installing the yellow & white springs to get the engagement down to apx 2400 rpm. My understanding is limited but my guess is a high rpm engagement will mean that the engine won't bog much & a lower engagement will mean that the engine may have to gain rpm more often.

You have a very limited rpm range . Testing will tell whats best .
Do you know your lowest rpm coming off the turn ?
Gear choice anything as long as 4:50/1

You have a very limited rpm range . Testing will tell whats best .
Do you know your lowest rpm coming off the turn ?
Gear choice anything as long as 4:50/1
I don't have a way of looking at rpms through out the track. Its a big oval with wide turns that doesn't require lifting the throttle till the yellow is thrown so I assume the engine is pegged at 3800 the whole time. I'm ordering some yellow springs that ill mix with white. Like you said- test & tune. Glad she has a few years in this class to give me a chance to get the hang of things.

Back