Hilliard help

Ok so we are running a LO206 in cadet, long black slide. Bought a new blaze clutch and do the maintence as instructed. My son tells me it will not accelerate. And last night I could actually see it. Coming off the hot grid the motor revs but it’s like it just isn’t grabbing. He came in after the first heat and clutch was smoking hot. Once it gets up to speed it’s fine but he loses so much time trying to get it going and complains that when he pushes the gas pedal down it just won’t go? Any ideas? Running the 2 black 2 white slings no weights 14 tooth driver 62 rear gear turning 4300 rpm. Right where engine builder wants us.

Key may be sheard off , if your removing it for maintenance that should show on the crank though or on clutch inspection .
There are only a few possibilities shoes wore , drum wore , shoes stuck , shoes oriented wrong , Springs too heavy and key .
Remove and disassemble check for signs of galling or shoes not able to move freeley look for signs the shoes are glazed , sand shoes and drum , check orientation of shoes and install the whites .

The smoking hot leads too springs or shoes won't move .
Option 2 buy another one use that as a spare /parts clutch .

Question how old /how many races ?

This is the third race on it and I have them with heels forward and everything looked fine prior to last night havent pulled it apart yet today to check. I will do that I have Followed all of their asseblmbly and maintainence guidance to this pint

Heels forward ?
I take it that means the long part of the shoe is at the rear .
Inboard mounted .
You have weights installed ? Me i would add the heaviest weights avalible .
3 races should not be too many .

Hard to tell what's going wrong, but to me, it sounds like the clutch is over slipping (that's the reason for the heat) or, like has been said, the clutch key is gone. Not very likely because you said it does get up to speed. I'm assuming you have no gauges? Very valuable accessory that gives you a lot of information, information we could use to assess your problem.
I'm thinking it could be 1 of 2 things; too much slip, or, too little slip. Both can cause the problem you describe. Is the engine builder local? I'm sure he wouldn't even have to think about, he already knows of problems like this.

Heels forward ?
I take it that means the long part of the shoe is at the rear .
Inboard mounted .
You have weights installed ? Me i would add the heaviest weights avalible .
3 races should not be too many .
Long part forward sorry and no weights. Local engine builder does not use this style clutch. I can hear won’t accelerate and that’s the issue hits need to figure out why once he gets rolling it’s competitive

Long part in my opinion should be faced back looking at it mounted on the engine/kart . Add the weights ! Get it working correctly first then fine tune for speed . Oval or sprint racing ? Maybe even the yellow springs . First turn the shoes around .

Long part in my opinion should be faced back looking at it mounted on the engine/kart . Add the weights ! Get it working correctly first then fine tune for speed . Oval or sprint racing ? Maybe even the yellow springs . First turn the shoes around .
Dirt oval 1/8 mile semi banked clay. We turned 4300-4400 last night with a 650-750 rpm drop in the corners

agreed... flip the shoes, put the tails where they belong on the back. The weights would not hurt at all in your case and I’m not a fan of mixed spring tensions on clutches. I’d try 4 white and just try it... see if that puts ya where you need to be on take off. You may also need to deglaze those shoes and drum with some 600ish sand paper as well.

You are way over slipping that clutch with two blacks and two whites. The engagement at that point is nearly 4000 rpm way too high for the long black slide and 4100 rpm rev limiter that is ran with the long slide. I would try 4 yellows or even 2 orange and two yellows. Your shoe orientation is what is recommended. I would leave it leading as you have it. Those would put engagement around 2600. Check the Hilliard site for for the spring charts. At about $3 per spring you can afford to experiment.

^ Right there.
I just caught the OP's post...sorry for the delay.
You are engaging at adult unrestricted engagement with your current clutch settings.
4 yellows would be my choice. Lead/push the shoes (long side forward) on these clutches is what I recommend.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back