Holding crankshaft with strap wrench

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

In the Briggs clutch video they show the guy holding the flywheel with a strap wrench and tightening the clutch up.

To expose the flywheel how much stuff do I need to pull off the engine? Is it just the bolts holding on the orange cover? If I pull this off is is easy just to pop it back on? I have the strap wrench - just not sure how to use it.

To keep the engine from sliding around do folks bolt it to the workbench or put a small wood cleat on the bench? I pull the clutch pretty regularly and I can get it up to torque but the way I do it is getting to be a drag.

You also need to remove the coil. IMO not worth resetting everything especially if you had to do it at the track. XXX(Jamie) told you the way 99.9% do it.

Depending on the grade bolt you are using, you're only talking about 10-20 foot pounds of torque.
You can use a clutch holding wrench and torque to your heart's desire...
or hit it with a small impact like most people do.
If you don't have an impact, snug the bolt by hand, then give the end of the wrench a "bump" with the palm of your hand or a small dead blow hammer to "set" the bolt.
You should be using a lock washer behind the head of the bolt, so as long as it compressed, you should be fine.
Remember, even if the bolt is mistakenly left loose, the tendency for the bolt is to tighten as the engine accelerates -- it's on deceleration that it would loosen. :)

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back