Holey Moses Carb?

Would it be beneficial to put a Holey Moses carb on a JR1 green plate kart? Racing on a 1/4 mile oval dirt track using same gearing, same yellow Vega tires, (and we prep tires well) as "winning" karts but getting beat by 1/4-1/2 a lap. My son is a good driver, not riding the brake and not lifting much if any. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1595439601511.png

Last edited:
Tires, tires, tires, did I say tires, what chassis are you on ? What's your numbers and cambers ?
yellow vegas (they have about 6 races on them bought brand new) and we prep the week before, wrap and clean them between heats and reprep. He is running a 2013 Margay Stryker kart setup for oval dirt (nice kart) no junk.

Probably?? It just seems like they have more motor than he does but when they are "teched" and all he does is check to see if the plate is there not that it hasn't been tampered with and sometimes he will take off the air filter of the 1st place kart. He also will check weight.

Probably?? It just seems like they have more motor than he does but when they are "teched" and all he does is check to see if the plate is there not that it hasn't been tampered with and sometimes he will take off the air filter of the 1st place kart. He also will check weight.
Who's Engine are you on ? Is it fully blue printed ?
A kart lacking roll speed will seem like there just lacking motor, If your over prepped and to low on air you will lack roll speed.

You will get my vote for a yes. I like Dovers plate carbs and in all honesty I feel the plate motors are where a blueprinted and properly built carb is most beneficial. However as Ken said above proper setup and tires will let you see all the benefits of your updates. Without that being done first you will just chase your tail spending for more power.

You are 1/4 to 1/2 lap down. Where are the other karts finishing
and where are you in the pack ?
Dover makes nice stuff.

Yes a dover Carb is good.
But it takes the total package. Call Jerry and let him know exactly what you have in your engine. Very Knowledgeable and will get you going.

The Dover plate carb will help but it isn't going to make up for the fact that you are on the WRONG chassis. Sell it and get on a new(ish) offset kart MADE for dirt oval racing. You're on a straight rail road course chassis, you can't expect to be competitive with guys that have their tire game spot on AND the correct chassis...

You are 1/4 to 1/2 lap down. Where are the other karts finishing
and where are you in the pack ?
Dover makes nice stuff.
Last race he started 2nd row inside (won his heat race but there were three) stayed with them for maybe 1-2 laps and they slowly pulled away from him. He finished 4th out of 12 karts but the 1st-3rd place karts were 1/4 - 1/2 laps ahead of him. When he comes off the track he is asking for more speed on his kart. He says "daddy I can't catch them".

I totally agree tires are a huge factor .
Seeing as your asking about the carb , what type engine is it a kit , second hand or a built blueprinted engine ?
Kit or second hand i'd buy the carb no doubt , built and blueprinted might still buy it .
Chassis , as stated is a possible issue .

With a 1/4 mile track it's normal to be more dry and harder, describe track condition ? If I'm correct and your doing same tire prep method you describe every week, your over prepped + what air pressure are you using ? plus as mentioned IF the chassis your on is not an offset chassis that's part of it as well. Putting your lack of speed in order from what has most affect to least, I would say is Tires, Chassis and Set up, lack of seat time, Motor.

The Dover plate carb will help but it isn't going to make up for the fact that you are on the WRONG chassis. Sell it and get on a new(ish) offset kart MADE for dirt oval racing. You're on a straight rail road course chassis, you can't expect to be competitive with guys that have their tire game spot on AND the correct chassis...
1595538761957.png

18/64 - 1/4 mile dirt track very little banking if any. he is running a non hemi predator with a CL-2 cam.
I'm NO motor guy BUT now your talking a whole new game, IF your allowed to change the carb ( alter the carb ) per rule and the others have and you have not yes it will make a huge difference.

Too bad the stryker was made for dirt oval and is offset. But hey everyone hears margay and they assume its a straightrail

Back