hologram, black wire 206

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
seems i was under the impression these were no longer going to be authorized for use. Anyone know when this will happen? I have two of these don't use much.. just wondering if its time to convert to animals or sell them... wouldn't want to sell them off as a 206 if they will not be legal soon.

They are currently legal and there has been no time frame given before they are not legal. Some people found ways to defeat the old seal and the replacement silver cable was readily available. Will they be phased out? Probably so just no time frame yet. Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Reading the rule book, the wording initially makes it sound like the only seals that will be legal are the orange seals. But, if you reread the rule book and read other posts by Briggs and stratton on their website, it says they are only phasing out motors from pre-2013 that dont have any integrated wires in the seal cables

From the Briggs Website:
6. Engine Sealing There are two custom security seals with matching serialization installed from the factory. Tampering of the seals is not permitted. Should the seals be tampered with, the engine is no longer eligible for competition.
Beginning on January 1st, 2020 only security seals with a black integrated thread wire or the red/black wire and the orange seal housing will be legal for competition.
Legal Seal
1572186879832.png

Legal Seal
1572186941539.png

If your seal does not have a strand of black wire or a a black strand and a red strand in it then it will not be legal as of Jan 1 2020

Converting you illegal LO 206 in to a 206 Super Stock is a great option.

Last edited:
And yet, not one defeat was ever recorded and posted to see! Urban legend?

DK
If anyone posted evidence it would mark them and have them tarnished in the world of LO206 racing for life. In the world of Twitter there are enough fools that do not know what should or should not be said, I have a little hope for the average racer, they are not about to post evidence and say yea I can do that look.

You can do almost anything if you spend enough time and money.
Good people will follow the rules. Other people, Not so much.
Most parents want to teach their children to do what's right.
There are some people (not just in karting) that believe rules / laws really don't apply to them.
In my years of being involved in kart racing i have met some people that have either hinted that they want me to do things to their engines that are illegal or have outright asked me to do something that's illegal. I politely tell them that i can't do that.
I tell them that i will do everything i can to make their engine the best it can be according to the existing rules.
What is really tough is when you know these people are racing at a track where you also know that illegal stuff is going on and they have to compete against them.
Some people brag about something illegal that they got away with or some loophole that they exploited. (in Karting or in life)
There is a sentence in many Karting rule sets that states:
"UNLESS THE RULES STATE THAT YOU CAN DO IT, YOU CANNOT DO IT"

I see the hole saw on the table.
So all you need to do is look at the bottom of the block and these people should never be allowed to race any where again.
Since that probably isn't going to happen i would at least ban him from the track he gets caught at.
Next option is to make his life as miserable as possible. Tech his engine each and every time he comes back.
In fact tech his engine before you let him or his kids race.
That means the engine comes off the kart, and gets completely taken apart right down to the wrist pin.
If he refuses tech don't let him come back.
His name should also be posted for the world to see.
Nobody has ever said the 206 did not need to be teched!!!

Last edited:
Who thinks this stuff up ?
Machine a bolt in plate and o-ring for servicability .
When some ones adding oil on the grid , better look under the engine !

The 206 is the best thing to happen in karting in years.
I think some people are jealous of that and want to do what ever they can to try to make it fail.
It ain't going to happen though. Good will triumph over evil!
There were almost 300 entries at the 206 cup finals at New Castle last month and my guess is there will be even more next year.

I agree with Jimbo. A full public shaming is in order for any loser like that. Karting needs the 206. People like my son and I could never afford to be competitive without a low cost, standarized, sealed engine setup. It would be real shame for all of us if it disappears...

I see the hole saw on the table.
So all you need to do is look at the bottom of the block and these people should never be allowed to race any where again.
Since that probably isn't going to happen i would at least ban him from the track he gets caught at.
Next option is to make his life as miserable as possible. Tech his engine each and every time he comes back.
In fact tech his engine before you let him or his kids race.
That means the engine comes off the kart, and gets completely taken apart right down to the wrist pin.
If he refuses tech don't let him come back.
His name should also be posted for the world to see.
Nobody has ever said the 206 did not need to be teched!!!
I don't run the 206 or I don't cheat "LOL" but I'm missing something, what does a hole saw do? !!!

I don't run the 206 or I don't cheat "LOL" but I'm missing something, what does a hole saw do? !!!

It'd allow you access to the rod bolts. Take those out and you can pull the piston. At that point, it's open game for cylinder bore size.

It'd allow you access to the rod bolts. Take those out and you can pull the piston. At that point, it's open game for cylinder bore size.
Moreso for detensioning the rings I am thinking.
It was pretty ingenious -- I learned of this 2 years ago from Steve V. BTW, it was not caught the 1, 2, or 3rd time it went through tech from what I remembered. It was only an oil leak that caused them to take the base plate off the bottom of the block.

Working the limits of the rules (aka gray areas) are one thing -- this, is quite another.
I know of one other engine that this was done to for an open competition of beating the seal - that engine had a domed piston in it and roller rockers.

Ralph Helms told me probably 30 years ago at a WKA tech seminar that the "creative development department" (aka cheaters) works overtime coming up with this kind of stuff. Obviously, they are still creating and developing today.

3rd, Bob.
Initial one was silver wire only.
2nd had a black strand.
3rd has red & black strands and the UPC barcode for smart phones deal on it.
As technology gets better, so do the seals.

Again, only the first iteration (approx. 8 years old or more) are being phased out at the national level.
Many local tracks will continue to honor them.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back