hologram, black wire 206

Wasn't the first where guys ended up cutting the crankshaft PTO side and using a new crankshaft to reassemble?

I cannot figure out how cutting the crank at the pto side has anything to do with the seals. You still need to remove the side cover which would involve the seals.
All of this stuff was on the pre-2013 forums, from before the crash.

IIRC, the very first seals allowed the removal of all the sidecover bolts and had enough slack to allow the sidecover to come off, if you cut the PTO side of the crankshaft off.
Then you could bore it out, or plateau hone, or install low tension rings, or change cams if you wanted.
On reassembly, using a new crankshaft allowed just enough room with clearance stacking to get everything back together with the seal intact. I think it took the guys Down 'Souf about 2 weeks to come up with this.
BTW, the very first seals didn't last very long at all before the "silver" seals replaced them. :)

This is all history anyway, Doesn't have much to do with what you guys are doing now.

I do remember sending a large portion of our unsold engines from our first pallet back to Briggs to be replaced with engines that had two seals instead of the original single seal.

We had one of the first pallets that Briggs shipped out.

Back