Honda #5 key?

HoosierKart

Bought a used gx200 and it has a Honda #5 offset flywheel key. All the info I can find on the key is the offset is .050”. Any ideas on how much that advances the timing?

5 degrees +/- depending on how it was installed . Example , your flywheel is say 28 degree , it would move it to 33 degree advanced or 23 degree retarded .

Reactions: dog
As has been said, you do have to know where you're starting from as far as advance is concerned. I have a spreadsheet that will tell you exactly how far a cut key will advance your timing depending on how much is removed and how thick it was to start. You also have to know where the stock timing is.
degrees advance.jpg

Also be aware; if you cut the key exactly halfway, then you can turn it around and get equal advance/retard. But if you only cut .050", and turn it around, the retarded timing will be different from the advanced timing.

As has been said, you do have to know where you're starting from as far as advance is concerned. I have a spreadsheet that will tell you exactly how far a cut key will advance your timing depending on how much is removed and how thick it was to start. You also have to know where the stock timing is.View attachment 6623
So with the ARC flywheel which is 32* and the #5 key that puts me at 39.64 advanced. Sounds like that would cause detonation to me, but it’s running fine.

So your theory says that with that timing, there's automatically going to be detonation, right? Are you implying that my spreadsheet is wrong? I won't dismiss that idea out of hand, anything's possible. Have you actually put a degree wheel on your engine and checked the timing advance? That would go a long way towards proving your theory. What well in and in and in a you are what they people that went out and is a
While advancing your timing excessively can produce detonation, it's not automatic. Detonation is mostly the result of excessive heat and/or pressure, maybe you're not experiencing that? Many many reasons why that could be so.

33-35 ish degrees on a stock class style build unrestricted
36-40 plate motors blue to red is a good starting point.

So your theory says that with that timing, there's automatically going to be detonation, right? Are you implying that my spreadsheet is wrong? I won't dismiss that idea out of hand, anything's possible. Have you actually put a degree wheel on your engine and checked the timing advance? That would go a long way towards proving your theory. What well in and in and in a you are what they people that went out and is a
While advancing your timing excessively can produce detonation, it's not automatic. Detonation is mostly the result of excessive heat and/or pressure, maybe you're not experiencing that? Many many reasons why that could be so.

Nope not implying that your data is wrong it was more of a question. I haven’t put my degree wheel on it yet, because my piston stop requires me to remove the head. I’m lazy I didn’t want to do the extra work. I was just looking for some info on the key. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
No need to pull the head, you just need a positive stop. I've heard you can break the porcelain out of a spark plug barrel, threaded it, screw in some kind of a bolt, and that will be your positive stop. You need a degree wheel, they don't cost much at Comet Kart Sales. Comet may even have a positive stop already made. Do you know how to use a positive stop with a degree wheel? Find out where the timing is now, if this motor has a 3/4" crankshaft, you can use the picture I published as a guide. Timing is kind of important, don't guess!

If that 1st post was kind of jumbled, I use speech recognition software, someone came to the door, I forgot to turn it off, it just picked up the conversation I had with my visitor. I didn't read/edit very well. lol

Honda stock GX200 flywheels are 20* BTDC, a #5 on a stock GX200 flywheel gives you 25* If the plastic seating around the magnet is black it is GX200 20* if the plastic seating is white it is a GX160 flywheel at 25*.

Honda stock GX200 flywheels are 20* BTDC, a #5 on a stock GX200 flywheel gives you 25* If the plastic seating around the magnet is black it is GX200 20* if the plastic seating is white it is a GX160 flywheel at 25*.
Interesting, so the #5 key refers to the amount of advance, I didn't know that. Easy enough to measure. That means removing .0327" would give you 5° advance. Good to know, thank you. Not that it's super important, but can they hold that kind of tolerance? Like I said, easy enough to measure.

My Question is does Honda even make an advance key ?

Unless you Honda dealer is also a speed shop , I doubt they have them . Any kart shop can get them . JC Specialties , Dover ect .

Back