honda gx200 crankshaft sizes

ringrace

Hello all I have a honda gx200 setup w/ a 2-1 reduction unit, the crankcase and crankshaft had start to show signs of wear and scarring so I baught a cheaper gx200 clone on ebay to replace the crankcase and crankshaft. The crankshaft that came w/ the clone engine has a shaft that is slightly longer and perhaps slightly less diameter than the one that was in the honda so it will not fit the reduction unit as the shaft is slightly too long. The stroke length seems to be fine but the overall shaft length seems to long. I then went on ebay and bought a crank that was advertised as GX200 CRANKSHAFT 2:1 REDUCTION CLUTCH 20MM OUTPUT SHAFT GO KART FIT HONDA GX 200. This crank had the samew problem as the one that came with the clone engine, it still is too long to fit my reduction unit? Can anyone help me with the correct crankshaft i need/type to order and or specs of the correct one?

In theserial number you shouldfind a type letter it will be S,Q,U,P,T,V, N,L,R or H with thatletter I can tell you what crank you need. You most likely will have L,or S 20mm dia.
L=53.2mm S=53mm

L is 1/2 reduction with no clutch R is 1/2 reduction with centrifugal clutch H is 1/6 reduction

R type have 22mm 53mm long These are common

well the the crankshaft I took out that was the correct size had a "4" and a "N" forged onto the weights of the crank. The new one has "F" , "K" and "4" forged into it. There is no serial number marked on either of them specifically that i can find. The crank that does not fit I measured to be roughly 8.5 mm longer on the shaft w/ the keyhole than the original. the link i purchased it from though is http://www.ebay.com/itm/GX200-CRANKSHAFT-2-1-REDUCTION-CLUTCH-20MM-OUTPUT-SHAFT-GO-KART-FIT-HONDA-GX-200-/361451848357?hash=item54283582a5:g:rxEAAOxyk99R0Itu
I am using the crank in accordance w/ a 1/2 reduction centerfugal clutch. Assuming I need a type R, are there any good recommended places to purchase from?

The serial number is stamped on the front of the block by the drain plug. That is a sketchy seller states OEM and then says brand is Real Power.
This is where you measure

so on the back of my crank case my honda has RH26 stamped on it and then below that is a longer code that starts with GC. On the clone crankcase i bought off ebay there is just a longer seriel number that starts with GC imprinted on the crankcase. As of now I am just looking to replace the crankshaft in the clone engine to something that will work with a 1/2 wet reduction clutch. When i googled the problem i expected to find a list of different crankshafts that fit this model, with their dimensions and common applications. However the info on crankshaft variations and their measurements that are used in different setups isnt as easy to find as i thought. Althoughy the help thus far has been greatly appreciated.

For the honda RH26 you need part#13310-zl0-000 20mm dia which is Type S shown above. As far as it going in the Clone your guess is as good as mine 50/50. I don't think you will find a clone shaft.

I may still have the crank I pulled from my Honda. it also was a 22mm out put shaft, not the right length for karting and kart clutches... are you going to put the gear box back on?? is it a work horse or a play motor?

Why not head to a local mower repair shop and look around to see if they have any cranks? Sometimes you get lucky and find them, i have. Take a set of digital calipers with you and your old crank that you need to match.

My question is, if the output shaft on the cranks you have are the same size, just a little too long, why not take it and have however much extra cut off, or measure and cut it off yourself with a band saw? You can do it accurately yourself. We have a tubing saw that i use to cut the output shaft completely off of torn up cranks, and welded the output shafts to a steel plate to make a clutch rack with for my trailer.

It is an engine for a rec gokart track, so i need the wet clutch to fit and it will see alot of work (run em till they die). I have about 10 cars so it is kind of an ongoing problem. I considered cutting the shaft but it is not my most desirable option. Honestly i thought finding a aftermarket crank to match would be an easy solution on ebay, not the case

the shorter version is what fits correctly. on the cranks i have for my gx160 there is a serial number stamped on the crank that starts w/ AG S ......where do the 20 and 22 mm measurments come from?

Last edited:
Honda cranks do not have serial #'s on them that I have seen and I have handled many. What do you mean where do they come from? 20 and 22mm are the measurements of the output shaft.

Adaptor

Hello all I have a honda gx200 setup w/ a 2-1 reduction unit, the crankcase and crankshaft had start to show signs of wear and scarring so I baught a cheaper gx200 clone on ebay to replace the crankcase and crankshaft. The crankshaft that came w/ the clone engine has a shaft that is slightly longer and perhaps slightly less diameter than the one that was in the Honda so it will not fit the reduction unit as the shaft is slightly too long. The stroke length seems to be fine but the overall shaft length seems to long. I then went on ebay and bought a crank that was advertised as GX200 CRANKSHAFT 2:1 REDUCTION CLUTCH 20MM OUTPUT SHAFT GO KART FIT HONDA GX 200. This crank had the samew problem as the one that came with the clone engine, it still is too long to fit my reduction unit? Can anyone help me with the correct crankshaft i need/type to order and or specs of the correct one?

I started out buying GX200 RXU engines for my fleet of hire karts (2:1 reduction box, engines have 22mm shaft) now I buy GX200 QX engines without reduction as they are half the price of the RXU and as the reduction does not wear out i don't need to buy them but as you say the cheaper QX engine comes with a longer 20mm shaft. I cut the long shaft off with an angle grinder, machine a piece of tube down to 1 mm thick, ID / OD does not really matter as you cut a slot in the tube for the key and the tube will then expand or compress to fit the shaft, the 1mm wall thickness is important. Once you have cut a slot for the key use this tube as a bush slip it over the shaft, fit your clutch back on, align the key slots in shaft and clutch use a screw driver or similar to align the cut slot in the bush and tap the key in. I have been doing this for many engines over a few years now with no problems

Back