Honda Gx340

mrwiked28

Is it possible to add a charge coil/alternator to this engine? If so what parts would be needed?
I would like to run some lights on my Kart......Thanks

Yes, no problem. Most all 340/390 engines with an electric starter already have a charging coil. You will need a charging coil that bolts behind the flywheel and a flywheel with internal magnets. There were 3 or 4 different amp ratings available. From about 2 through about 30 amps. May find the stuff you need on ebay or off a parts engine. Good luck

Thanks! Also will I need a regulator/diode or something to control the charge to the battery? I can not seem to find any info on it.....Thanks

I am not 100% sure about the diode. Practically all my experience with the charging system is with removing them to prevent parasitic robbing of power, not hooking them up. LOL I would think a google search of "charging diagram" of a GX340/390 (or any size) would yield positive results. Good luck

So I could run lights right off of the charging coil? I was planning on getting the three amp coil is that enough? thanks

Just incase you do not know watts= volts X amps. When you say 37 volts I think you mean watts?

Last edited:
winnercircle replied that a 3 amp coil at 3400 Rpm would put out about 37volts, so I was asking what size bulbs could I use with that output? Sorry I do not know much about Volt's,amps, and watts stuff...

Back