Honing plate Material

Here's a dumb question for you Flatheads!

Does it matter if I make a honing plate out of aluminum or steel?

I have lots of steel and not much aluminum.

Nobodies asking much questions on the Flatty forum here and I read just about all of the posts.... Thnx Ale.

3/4" thick steel plate would make a nice torque plate. Might not be a problem depending on which steel but, I would mill the same amount off of each side when making it flat so it doesn't warp. Or, you could just get an old head and punch the top out.

3/4" thick steel plate would make a nice torque plate. Might not be a problem depending on which steel but, I would mill the same amount off of each side when making it flat so it doesn't warp. Or, you could just get an old head and punch the top out.
I have 4 horse heads up the wazoo, that is by far the easiest solution. Thanks sundog!

The material isn't as important as the thread reach. Keep in mind that the head bolts distort the cylinder slightly, so be sure to torque the bolts correctly and use the correct length (determined by how thick your torque plate is.)
Using a cut-out old head and stock bolts will be fine and keeps the thread reach correct without having to sort through your bolts drawers. :)

FWIW, I'll use a steel honing plate, billet aluminum plate, and older cylinder head ALL with good results.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back