Honing steel sleeve engine

GAKARTER

If you don't have any regular honing oil, what is the next best thing to use when honing steel sleeve engines? I've heard some use vegetable cooking oil.

vegetable oil, wd-40, kerosene trans fluid mixed, Bruce if you need one honed give me a call.
Thanks David,
I'll give you a ring. I'm looking for a few replacement parts for my limited as well. Is that a 25% mix ratio for each of the 4 components on the honing fluid mixture?

Be careful soaking honing stones in mineral spirits.....Sunnen recommends highly against that!

Most stone hones call for honing OIL or nothing at all. Personally, I've never tried honing dry -- just sounds painful. ;)

Goodson Shop Supplies stocks a good honing oil if you are looking to save some dough over Sunnen.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

it sounds awful sometime Brian but it's possible

personally I've used Goodson's std honing oil and then add some high sulfur content threading oil for years. same threading oil oil I use most often for chambering a rifle barrel.

Goodson makes good honing oil mixed with some of their rod oil to get that rotten egg smell:):) use grinding coolant forever but got tired of my honing tank freezing up in cold weather. For kicks wrap the hone in red Scotch bright pad for final hone and high angle cross hatch. In my cup motors always worth a little horse power and rings seat really well and fast. Really important on restrictior motors that had the bores nickle chrome plated. Used brown pad for those motors. HARD HARD bores. Easily run four races on same bore and even thrashed a few pistons and the bores were fine. At the time had to send blocks to England to have them chromed.

Back