honing

not only when you replace the rings, but i'd hone anytime i pulled the piston out for whatever reason. not too much mind you, but just enough to put a cross hatch in it!

I hone it when replacing rings or going to the next size piston. If the bore is round with no taper in some cases I just flex hone the cylinder to put color in it and then install a new top ring. It basically depends on how round and straight your cylinder is and how much time is on it. Jmo.

At what point is it strongly recommend to hone a cylinder,
I guess from a 'strongly' standpoint, if I don't like what I see and have no other choice...but, cautiously! 'One' thing I DO want too see is 'cross-hatching' and 'ALWAY'S' with a new 'slug' (piston)!!

hone cylinder only when replacing rings try to get a 45deg crosshatch the crosshatch holds oil and aids in ring seating i use a sunnen hone with stones dont particularly like the ball hones the crosshatch isnt great with it (just my opinion)piston replacement depends on ring land wear piston to wall clearance ect... if its not right replace it period also pay attention to cyl wall taper cant get it straight with a ball hone

I only hone my cylinder when I install new pistons or rings...but...I hone mine to look like polished steel, really fine and smooth and I have found the rings seat very nicely. Make better compression...I have done this for 13 years and never had a problem ans had many winning engines.....but....you can do what you want, this is a secret that no one talks about

Only hone a cylinder when it's damaged or out of spec. As long as it's straight and round,,,,grow the glaze don't break the glaze. Install new rings,,,even a new piston, on a good "seasoned" cylinder. This is the main reason the aluminum bore flatheads were thought to be faster, they glazed over much quicker. Briggs states in their service manual,,,only deglaze cylinder if resizing is necessary.
If you're "overservicing" your engines your missing out on noticeable performance.

Best, WP

How often do you change your oil?
My engine had major glitter in it (tore it down to see why) and my cylinder wall did not look like this.
Looks like small particles are moving along w/your piston/rings.
Definitely needs honing. Those vertical lines need to go. Watch your bore size so you don't go over. Clean and scrub (dish detergent followed by WD40) the living crap out of the bore after you hone so you remove all the left over hone grit. It's clean when a wipe w/a white rag doesn't show anything.
Replace piston if it's scored and gap and install new rings.

The picture is dirty and hard to identify the damage, if your situation allows that needs a rebore to first over. If not you need to use a rigid hone to clean it up and meet your rules, stay away from flex and ball hones until you straighten it.

The picture is dirty and hard to identify the damage, if your situation allows that needs a rebore to first over. If not you need to use a rigid hone to clean it up and meet your rules, stay away from flex and ball hones until you straighten it.

Yep.
May need boring.

Are you running fhs62r oil? Are you running a clean k&n every time out or a Chinese knock off air filter? Do you change your oil every time out? If you do all of this you won't have that problem. I put a new filter on when I get to the track then I put another new one on before the feature and depending on how dusty the track is I'll change three times during a day.

Just by looking at that picture I can tell you that it is out of round. the vertical scratches almost guarantee that. Depending on how deep they are will determine just how much you will need to hone. Then once you get them all out, you will need to check the over all size of the cylinder to determine if you need to go to a .005 piston or not. A short cut that I use to see of the cylinder is out of round is to use the hone. If it starts to wobble I change stones and begin to clean it up until the wobble goes away. Then I go back to the fine stones for the finish. There are different situations that actually determine if I use a hone on an engine or not. But looking at that one I would say you need work!!!

X2. Every time on the track - clean air filter. Of course then your side cover comes lose and breaks out the dowel pin hole in the block and then you have a good clean paper weight! I digress. Clean air filter and new oil after each day for me.

DD

I changed the oil everytime I rode it I used Valvoline 10w40 air filter was cleaned a couple times, I just re honed it and a std piston still fit, I just started it up today to see, and had good compression, ran good,

Back