Hoosier tire combination

bullerman

Running Box Stock Predator class. We have to run grooved tires and no prep. I am running Burris now but I think I may go to Hossiers. This is what I am looking at.

11.0x5.5x6 on a 6.5 rim on the left front. Around 34.5

11.0x5.5x6 on a 6" rim on the left rear. Around 34.5 roll out hopefully a little more.

11.5x8x6 on 10" rim on front and rear. Around 36" roll out on the right side.

Would hope for 1 1/2 inch stagger in front and somewhere around that or a hair less in the rear. This is about what I have with the Burris combination I am running and it's ok. The Burris tires are just to soft. I run two 11's and two 22's. I would think going with D 30 with the Hoosier. I haven't checked to see if these are avaliable but I want to get an idea if this combination would work. J ihave the rims to do this so I would just have to buy tires. Thanks

They are available, but we have better sizes to keep the kart lower to the track with 34" roll-out right side tires. Personally, I think those 36" tires are just too much tire for low HP classes like a box stock Predator. Our sets have worked well up to a pretty stout small block open animal at 25CHP.
Give us a call - we do these tires all the time and am working several sets of them today.

If you decide to go with the tires and wheels you suggested, you should be able to keep that RR closer to 35" when mounted properly. Then you can mount the LR on a typical 8 1/4 - 8 3/4" wide wheels . LF will be a struggle to keep as low as 34" on a 6 1/2" wheels. If you can come up with a 7 or 7 1/4" will get you where you want to be with those size tires.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

They are available, but we have better sizes to keep the kart lower to the track with 34" roll-out right side tires. Personally, I think those 36" tires are just too much tire for low HP classes like a box stock Predator. Our sets have worked well up to a pretty stout small block open animal at 25CHP.
Give us a call - we do these tires all the time and am working several sets of them today.

If you decide to go with the tires and wheels you suggested, you should be able to keep that RR closer to 35" when mounted properly. Then you can mount the LR on a typical 8 1/4 - 8 3/4" wide wheels . LF will be a struggle to keep as low as 34" on a 6 1/2" wheels. If you can come up with a 7 or 7 1/4" will get you where you want to be with those size tires.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
We run d20 Hoosiers and shrink right sides to get our stagger. Do you think it’s worth shrinking the all 4 tires down. We run over 35” tires on the rights. It we shrunk lefts and rights both to get our stagger right, do you think this would be an advantage? Basically stock predator class.

We run d20 Hoosiers and shrink right sides to get our stagger. Do you think it’s worth shrinking the all 4 tires down. We run over 35” tires on the rights. It we shrunk lefts and rights both to get our stagger right, do you think this would be an advantage? Basically stock predator class.
Consider that all the flat karts are designed around 34" right side slicks when they are tested and built. That determines the ride height of the car, as well as affecting VCoG and other things.
Bigger question would be, do you have to run the size tires that you are currently running?
If you are running the 11.5X8.00-6 Hoosier D20A on the right sides, that is WAY too much tire for a stock Predator -- or mild open for that matter. These tires were designed to be run on 250 & 500cc winged outlaw cage karts with enough power to spin the tires at will.
Then couple the extra weight (= rotating mass) of the .150" deep treads and you'd need that much power to pick up the track and throw rooster rails in the air behind you. Oops, you don't have that, and the resulting over-grip flat kills your roll speed. That's why cutting the tires to half tread or less really helps in the stock classes. I prefer to run smaller right side tires that roll out 34" to begin with. It's still more tire than you need, but at least it gets the kart back down to normal ride heights, staggers, and scale numbers.
If you are trying to shrink the 8.00s down to 34", good luck! -- Not going to happen from my experience. Getting them smaller will help, but will still never hang with properly sized treaded tires for your kart.

I appreciate your informative post. Unfortunately they are spec tires and spec sizes.
We roll out with the rights sitting at 35 1/2” ish.
I agree it is WAY to much tire but n there is nothing we can do. We run upfront in the class but was thinking if I could shrink them all 1/2” we would have more speed. But I will take your word that I probably can’t shrink them anymore.

I appreciate your informative post. Unfortunately they are spec tires and spec sizes.
We roll out with the rights sitting at 35 1/2” ish.
I agree it is WAY to much tire but n there is nothing we can do. We run upfront in the class but was thinking if I could shrink them all 1/2” we would have more speed. But I will take your word that I probably can’t shrink them anymore.
You can get the 11.5X8.00-6 to come out 35" on a 10" wheel, maybe even 34 1/2" with a LOT of effort, but not 34." Only the smaller treads can be sized to 34" right sides.

Back