Hoosier Tires?

Blakec9

Hello, I am new to the UAS world and will start running them next season. I have read on here the discussion between treads VS slicks and still feel a little confused on why UAS mostly runs slicks. Also why do the Outlaw winged karts run treads and do you think the winged karts would be faster on slicks? I have a lot of back round in racing on dirt and all our big cars of coarse used treads. With the amount of power the UAS karts are running why do they not run treads? I would think a Hoosier ground and cut properly would help all around on a UAS kart. Just curious on everyone thoughts and theories....

Hello, I am new to the UAS world and will start running them next season. I have read on here the discussion between treads VS slicks and still feel a little confused on why UAS mostly runs slicks. Also why do the Outlaw winged karts run treads and do you think the winged karts would be faster on slicks? I have a lot of back round in racing on dirt and all our big cars of coarse used treads. With the amount of power the UAS karts are running why do they not run treads? I would think a Hoosier ground and cut properly would help all around on a UAS kart. Just curious on everyone thoughts and theories....
Some places require the treads on the outlaw karts. Setups and tech help are all aimed towards the treads so alot of folks wont venture off.

One thing is track promoters may not allow treads . They can tend too tear up a track . Your generally not riding the cushion as they say .
Most tracks are prepped hard , flat and smooth (sorta) ...;)
Outlaw wing karts are more sprint car , racingnut knows them and there rules .

I had Burris treads on my UAS ride. Ran ok, so I thought. Put slicks on, gained .5 sec instantly, no prep.

In a nut shell, slicks are faster on UAS karts.
Cage karts and UAS kart are both karts for sure, but the racing is two totally different games. One group turns the steering wheel left while the other turns the wheel right. I also think the preferred track size is different between the two groups, but Im not a cage kart guy so I am guessing there?

Track surface is the main consideration. Here in central IL Hoosier treads work very well but go outside of IL and you better have slicks or you'll get lapped.

We do both Hoosier slicks and treads through our shop.
Primarily, UAS racers are on slicks.
Some "run-whatcha-brung" classes allow treads, depending on the track.
Slicks are generally faster unless the track is very loose and crumby (further torn up by guys running treads.)
There are winged outlaw cage karts (250 & 500cc) chassis that use the bigger Hoosier treaded tires.
Some promoters have adopted the treads for their flat kart classes as well, and it's created a lot of confusion on sizes.
The flat kart sizes should be 34" roll out right sides, which is NOT what is being dictated by some promoters - instead they have chosen to go with the bigger 37+" right side tires that are intended for the bigger HP classes of winged karts.

We stock and work with ALL Hoosier tires for racers across the country, so trust me, the confusion is real. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back