Hoosier treaded racesaver

spincycle

Local track is mandating use of the Hoosier racesaver treaded tire for 2021 for our limited modifed engine class, no prep, no grinding, no cleaning at the track, punching about 70, ran them last night for the first time, track pretty moist all night, kart was total junk till about midway in feature, assuming because of the hardness, keeping heat in them will be key, anyone else run these Fred Flintstone pieces of granite? 😳

And they will be complaining about guys running over each other and spinning out and the race taking too long
Yep, that and tearing the track surface up.
It's a hard spec tire with intended purpose to save the racers money.
Granted, it doesn't save much money when you're replacing bent nerf bars and parts each week.

Going to be hard to enforce the no cutting, no prepping, no grinding, no cleaning rules.
Take them to a local pavement parking lot and wear them down to half tread, then maintain them each week by spinning the tires on a rough grit concrete surface (ie sandpaper.) When you clean the tires, use a good tire cleaner like our Green Apple Clean, followed by our White Dragon Cleaner, or even Pro-Blend Tire Cleaner. Then you could clean them even more using your favorite bite prep to give them that deep black shine. LOL I could go on and on. If the track is serious about policing tires, they will impound them all at the end of the night. That would be a "start" but still not eliminate the tomfoolery -- such as putting prep in your compressor or air tank.

Now, I would have less complaint against either the D50A or Racesaver as a spec tire IF they offered them in "kart" sizes, not just for the 250 and 500cc outlaw winged cage karts. You can make D30A treads 34" as right sides, but the harder spec RR tires all roll out at 36+"!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I looked at my mychron this morning, lap times from this past Thursday night with the racesavers were about 3/4 to a full second slower than last year with open tire rules, maybe just making judgement too soon, but I didn't invest a little $ and time putting together a nice piece together over the winter to go slower than last year....😒

Outside temp tonight cool 72degrees, track had moisture all night, never developed any bite or grip, the racesavers were total junk, with the no prep/no cleaning/no grinding rules, what could be done to the tires in these same conditions, other than putting heat to them to try to get them to fire? 🤔

^ Needle, sipe, cut them thinner, course finish.
If you really want to follow the spirit and intent of the no cutting/grinding rule, then take the kart to a course finished pavement or concrete parking lot and start making laps. Wear the tires down to half tread at least. The heat induced will hurt the tire, but not as much as that thick rubber does.

^ Needle, sipe, cut them thinner, course finish.
If you really want to follow the spirit and intent of the no cutting/grinding rule, then take the kart to a course finished pavement or concrete parking lot and start making laps. Wear the tires down to half tread at least. The heat induced will hurt the tire, but not as much as that thick rubber does.
With the noise of an open stroker open header animal, finding a place like that that won't draw alot of attention, mainly from the local sheriff, will be a challenge...🤣. Been looking at some of the different grinding wheels at speedway motors, they have one that looks like it could take a sizeable layer of rubber off with a little work...😁

I know im not grinding a tread down 3/8 inch .
It's been a while but , im thinking hrs per tire .
Shape it up a little sure .
A v-max style cutter seems like the perect fit .
Simple to make for that purpose .

We cut treads all the time in our shop -- and they are VERY time intensive....BUT, the process of cutting a tire doesn't produce any heat, so all heat cycling is eliminated vs running the tire in a course parking lot.
AND you can control the shape and depth of the tire.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Attachments

• D50A4.jpg
    D50A4.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 54
  • D50A5.jpg
    D50A5.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 57
I succumbed to old ways this week...our local Thursday night track is open tire....pulled a set of slicks, the tire roller and prep out of the storage shed and gonna go old skool this week....😇

I succumbed to old ways this week...our local Thursday night track is open tire....pulled a set of slicks, the tire roller and prep out of the storage shed and gonna go old skool this week....😇
Track was terribly over watered imo, tried the slicks but was at least 25 points too hard, threw the Hoosiers back on for the feature, not much better...the track operators pushing these racesavers need to understand and understand quickly, wet track + Hoosier racesavers = no fun...
🤨

Back