Hoosiers????

searcyman9

My two boys will be racing this year in the rookie red plate class at george county motorsports park in lucedale, ms. The track was built with red clay. My question is, are tire programs that important for this class? I heard that hoosiers require less work to race on, and with my schedule at work and school, I need to have a tire program that does not require constant work. Thanks for the input, LOVE this site!

They are a little important for the simple fact that if the kart isnt right, or tires, then he wont properly learn how to drive, and thats what he needs to concentrate on, making him comfortable to be able to learn and want to keep coming back.
Hoosiers need prep, like all the others. Theyre just a bit different in how to prep.
A good simple program is sufficient for what youre needing and theres plenty good ones to choose from, as well as some bad ones.
Seeing where youre from, i imagine theyre on Maxxis, maybe some are Vega, id look to see what the "crowd" is running, you may be able to buy the front runners tires at a discounted cost.

Yeah, Maxxis and vegas seem to be the majority. You will find some others as well. If I need to be extensive in the tires, then I will. I was just wanting to start simple to start with and gradually move into the more advanced prepping! :). I will look into buying others tires though, thanks for the input.

Yeah, Maxxis and vegas seem to be the majority. You will find some others as well. If I need to be extensive in the tires, then I will. I was just wanting to start simple to start with and gradually move into the more advanced prepping! :). I will look into buying others tires though, thanks for the input.

With a simple program you can always keep it simple.
SoCo for example is 3 preps, 1 for internal and 2 for outside.

Whatever brand of tires you choose, and whatever prep line you go with, simplifying your choices will let you concentrate on what works and what doesn't much quicker in the learning curve.
Depending on your track surface, and what duro you're needing, I'd say that if Vegas are fast, then Hoosiers will be fast as well. Generally, when a Maxxis Pink is fast, it's a track requiring a 50+ durometer tire. When you get less than 50d on a Maxxis, generally something else (Vega or Hoosier will get faster.) Not always, but generally. I'd say that Hoosiers and Vegas require much less work at this point to get fast. I rarely internally prep Hoosiers. I almost always internal prep HT3s. If you're having to get HT3s down in duro, you will have to work them hard. Hoosiers and Vegas on the other hand, already punch low 50s and require very little chemical to drop them. Do you still prep them? Sure, but they don't require all the weekly work that the Pinks and other brands do. Unless you are having to drop the tires a ton in duro, most guys running Hoosiers or Vegas will hit them with a PRW only. Personally, I love that about these tires. I'm in the tire business and spend much of my weeks working on customer tires. It gets old! I like that I can scuff my boys' Hoosiers and hit them with a PRW before going to the grid and still be fast against guys that have spent the past week or two working their tires in their garage. Now, with that said....every track is a little different. Some tracks are conducive to tires like Hoosiers and Vegas, others are better suited with Maxxis Pinks and Firestones. Rarely is there a condition where all brands are fast. Example: If a track bites up hard enough for a Firestone YJF to be fast, nothing else out there will touch them.
If you have specific questions regarding Hoosier tires, I'd be glad to help you directly. We regularly work with and sell all the other brands I mentioned, but I probably have more experience with Hoosiers than most on here. Give us a call.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

These guys definitely know what theyre talking about, but I have something figured out at george county that no other does. The wins iv taken there are nasty. But yes you will most definitely need a vega, hearing these guys say a hoosier could very well work that may be something I need to test. But the track does not bite up hardly at all because its a bunch of lawn mower and big car track guys running it. They like it soakimg wet almost. But like I said these guys are great with the prep game but there is nothing like trackside support and thats what ill be more than happy to help you with. Im a dealer for Fast Forward Tire Solutions and im working on getting a tire business like these guys. Ill be a george county a good bit helping local customers and would be more than happy to help you with anything kart related.
Thanks, Tyler McLeod

Hoosier is currently developing/testing a tire that is even better against the Vega Yellows on slick low/no bite tracks.

The RD35 has always been competitive when worked down like a Vega...this new tire will be even better!

Give us a call if we can answer any specific questions or orders for Hoosier kart tires.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
765-339-4407

They were testing the Hoosiers pretty hard around these parts last year, especially at Liberty. That is typically a 40-44 Maxxis track. I look forward to see what they have to offer with the new tire.

Probably the D55s for Liberty (bit different tire than the one to compete with the Vega that I'm talking about,) Chris. The D55 should be a good tire as well - it'll need prepped down similarly to the Pinks (40-45 for Liberty.) The RD35 is also good on that type of track (when the track wants a softer tire - a bit too soft for Pinks to work best.) Once you get in the mid 50's the Pink has been faster, so I'm sure the engineers have looked at that closely and have got D55 test tires out for that as well. It's still early (damp, cold, etc) to get a whole lot of feedback now, but summer's coming. :)

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
765-339-4407

Back