Hopper stopper, or wide bumper for Juniors.

I've been reluctant to put one of these on because people have told me it's easier to get knocked out the way.

But my kid has also been wheel hopped twice this year where he's got bruised up pretty good. Then it takes him two races to find his balls again because he gets timid.

I'm just curious of other racers, and mainly dad's opinion on them?

Nothing worse then seeing the trailing kart up on top of the drivers shoulder.
Many times i thought , their gonna break his neck .

If you go hopper stopper, buy a good one, the cheap ones bend.......
Yea, but better the hopper stopper bend than the left rear frame rail. :)

OP, my vote is the Hopper Stopper.
The extended rear bumper becomes a target to lean on at corner entry (and it never helps your driver.)
We've run them both and would choose the Hopper Stopper every time now.
We stock and sell them too, btw. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Yea, but better the hopper stopper bend than the left rear frame rail. :)

OP, my vote is the Hopper Stopper.
The extended rear bumper becomes a target to lean on at corner entry (and it never helps your driver.)
We've run them both and would choose the Hopper Stopper every time now.
We stock and sell them too, btw. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
So the Hopper Stopper prevents you getting pushed out the way and getting hopped?

It doesn't replace the bumper, it clamps on to the left rear frame rail and stops the guy from hopping your LR tire is all. If he wants to punt you, he still can, but he'll likely punch a hole in his nose from the all-thread and nut holding your rear bumper on.
Hopper Stoppers used to just be used indoors. Any more, we sell them to guys year round based on how folks drive karts anymore.

Where does that go, behind the tire? How is it different from an extended bumper?
I get where your coming from and I get it. Its still a target IF the racer behind you decides for it to be.. My buddy is 71 yrs old and "ran" the narrow rear bumper, and one night a kart rode up his left side cuting his skin open Under his race jacket, got him good. So I had wide rear bumpers made by Mark Cerk and its the same protection, and the same target if someone wants to hit it, Bullseye. Also I was in a wreck where my left rear wheel got bent but now my bumper will get hit, thats IF anyone is close enough :) ..

JPMKarting on here should be able to make a rear bumper for you. The one on my sons kart came from Trick. Works very well.

Attachments

• 1CB61EDB-99BD-4527-866A-21BAE22B536B.jpg
    1CB61EDB-99BD-4527-866A-21BAE22B536B.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 68
Where does that go, behind the tire? How is it different from an extended bumper?
It clamps to the left rear frame rail to protect the tire (and more importantly, your driver.)
It is different from an extended bumper in that the guy behind you cannot "lean" on it at corner entry to play the old bump-n-run (or worse.)
The extended bumpers make somewhat of a push bar for the guy behind you to "help" you into the corners or move you when needed.

Oh, I see. You know I thought of something like that years ago. Mine was a low roll bar behind the seat that had a spike on both sides to hook the nose cone. Never worked out the details on it.

JPMKarting on here should be able to make a rear bumper for you. The one on my sons kart came from Trick. Works very well.
The one in this pic is from Trick? I like the raised sides....kinda like a hybrid of the wide bumper with a hopper stopper.

Back