Hot box roller speed

If you are talking about the actual speed of the tire on the roller, about 6 minutes per revolution of the tire works good. It almost looks like the tire isn't moving.

Slower is better, but there is such thing as too slow also.5-7 revolutions per minute is where you want to be. The more revolutions it makes per minute, the more the prep creeps up the sidewalls of the tire, doesnt matter if your rollin it mounted or unmounted or if you have BB's in the tire or not, if its rolling too quick the prep will creep up the sidewalls. Even at 7 rpm you still see some prep creeping up the sidewalls, roll a tire unmounted and you will see what i mean. My roller does 5 rpm, but still has prep creep up the sidewall sometimes if its a prep with heavy oils in it like track tac tire tuff.

Depends on how much prep you use at a time. If I was trying to not get the sidewalls, I didn't use over two ounces at a time a rolled them off the rim so I could watch. I will tell you though, that through the cords, some will wick into the sidewall anyway over time.

I will never roll 100 cc's at once again. Rolled 100 cc's without tires mounted and it went way up the sidewall. This is on a Rebel fab roller that's around 6 rpm.

If you are trying to really soften a tire it could quit rolling as it gets softer. Just depends on the roller, pan depth etc.

Are there any disadvantages to rolling tires unmounted ?
Depends on how much prep you use at a time. If I was trying to not get the sidewalls, I didn't use over two ounces at a time a rolled them off the rim so I could watch. I will tell you though, that through the cords, some will wick into the sidewall anyway over time.
Think in minutes per revolution rather than RPM's.
Set up your roller to pull the tire rather than push it. This will help keep the tire from being pushed through the rollers.
Add BB's to keep tire treatments from "climbing" the side walls and to give extra weight to the tire as it moves.
Think this through. It all works together.

Randy M is correct about the cords but not doing what was written will make it worse quicker.

Randy

Back