Hotbox Temp Controller

Ragnar

We bought a nice used hotbox last year that works great overall. Not sure the manufacturer thought. Anyway, one issue we do have is the calibration on the temperature controller is off by 50 degrees. It has a rotating dial on the side of the box used to set the temperature. For example if I set the dial to 60 degrees the actual temp in the box with all the vents closed gets to around 110 degrees.

The controller does a have a probe type temperature sensor that is fastened to the back wall of the box.

It is kind of a pain to get the temp set just right and if others are helping us in the pits they tend to get the box way to hot.

Any ideas on how to calibrate this controller? Is there a more reliable digital upgrade?

Thanks

We bought a nice used hotbox last year that works great overall. Not sure the manufacturer thought. Anyway, one issue we do have is the calibration on the temperature controller is off by 50 degrees. It has a rotating dial on the side of the box used to set the temperature. For example if I set the dial to 60 degrees the actual temp in the box with all the vents closed gets to around 110 degrees.

The controller does a have a probe type temperature sensor that is fastened to the back wall of the box.

It is kind of a pain to get the temp set just right and if others are helping us in the pits they tend to get the box way to hot.

Any ideas on how to calibrate this controller? Is there a more reliable digital upgrade?

Thanks
The johnson controls A419 is the digital controller you need .

in my electric smoker the sensor gets dirty, not sure how close these deals are to a smoker but a little soap and water and scrubbing and it was good as new

Good point . A clean sensor can't hurt .
The mechanical control i have is a robertshaw 5500-113 . It has a glue on dial face . 22 1/2% input on low . So not totally accurate or minutely adjustable.

Back