How can I fix this crack???

racer_48

So, I got my first kart a few months ago and am getting it ready for my first races next spring. When I bought the kart, it had the crack in the picture. I figured there were a million ways out there to fix this crack in the front nose body panel. But I really haven't seen any in my research. What should I use to fix this? Is there a product out there that will do the trick?

I would really like, if at all possible, not to have to replace the front nose. I'm sure that there is a way, I just can't seem to find it online.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Attachments

• 20191201_200154.jpg
    20191201_200154.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 141
Take a dremel and clean it up making a small “v” in the crack. Use the mesh made for fiberglass and epoxy on the inside to strengthen and apply a little epoxy in/around the “v” on the nose. Use a DA sander to smooth the outside. Repaint and it’ll be like new.

Drill a 1/4" hole at the end of the crack. Taper the 'glass out to at least 4X the 'glass thickness on either side of the
crack and hole. I think I would taper the inside. Tape the outside. Put the crack horizontal so the resin doesn't run.
Cut 'glass layers to fill the crack first and trial fit them to the taper.
Either matte 'glass or woven will work. I use 5minute epoxy on small jobs and work it in with a
chip brush. The 'glass will 'disappear' when it's saturated. Work fast. Coat the area first then layer the 'glass and
tap the epoxy into the 'glass a layer at a time with the chip brush. I put a piece of waxpaper over it when I finish
and message the 'glass/resin to get better saturation. If you mess up let it set a day or two, grind out the mistake and
go at it again. The tape will make the outside smooth.
Wear mask and long sleeves when grinding and vinyl gloves when applying.

Two things . When you use a sander or grinder , tape up the air vents it helps keep the glass from flying in your face . When done blow the glass dust out of the tool so when you start it the next time its not blowing in your face .
Second : where are ya'll getting this 5 minute epoxy cheap enough to use for body repair?

I bought some pretty big tubes at Harbor Freight, 3oz each hardener/resin $8. SKU # 68386
I use it for small repairs. Breaking out the quarts of epoxy is not
my idea of fun.
I like the 5minute stuff because it speeds up the repair. Even with
the fast-set bulk epoxy it's a day's wait. Also the bulk epoxy doesn't
cure as well in small batches of say 2oz. 6oz is about the least I mix
from a quart.

Last edited:
'I bought some pretty big tubes at Harbor Freight, 3oz each hardener/resin $8. SKU # 68386"

Do you have a link to that Bumpy?

For a crack that small I'd use simple BONDO from the parts store! Its not major and is not structural, don't make it more difficult than what it is!

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack, then use the 3" self adhesive base molding the sell at Home Depot to wrap around the entire bottom of the nose. Heat is as need to form it to the nose and trim to fit the contours. Makes a nice clean look. Be sure to put at least one rivet or bolt on each side to help hold in place over time.

79377530-1D4C-42BB-88FB-0E53020EE52A.jpeg

Last edited:
It is just a small crack.
Leave it alone.
Some of my body fixes are based on "Well, it'll just get cracked, scratched, broken in the next race."

5200 marine sealant.
The strongest most durable product I've ever used on anything in my life. Minutely flexible but ridiculously strong.
Downside is it's relatively heavy compared to epoxy or resin.
Clean surface of paint
24hr cure
Do not put this on something you'd plan on taking apart...... ever.

I've tried to find what tv announcers call "bear bond" on NASCAR races with zero success. Heck I know a few long time stock car racers who don't know exactly what it is or where to buy it. Looks to me like it woud work fine. Do any of you guys know exactly what it is and where to get it?

I've tried to find what tv announcers call "bear bond" on NASCAR races with zero success. Heck I know a few long time stock car racers who don't know exactly what it is or where to buy it. Looks to me like it woud work fine. Do any of you guys know exactly what it is and where to get it?

That stuff is like crazy expensive. Like $500 for one roll of it, I think. Do I know were to get it, no. I'm guessing it is special manufactured for the teams in NASCAR.

The $25 was probably just regular duct tape they decided to call Bear Bond

Maybe. It says it has aluminum in the tape like the $110 stuff does.
I'll buy some and update.
I didn't notice when I posted but both are from the same place. The $110 stuff is (6) 12"x14" pieces.

Back