How can we better karting, and intice new racers to bring back karting?

I've been thinking on this alot lately, I've noticed that tracks are having lower numbers, which leads to lower payouts and fewer "big" money events. I understand racing karts for most is about the enjoyment, not the profit (because let's face it many of us dont make money through the season off of wins). Is it the cost that drives interest off? Is it a lack of community promotion, to new enthusiast? Basically I'm try to say why is it seem so intimidating for those that have the funds? I've noticed every track has there own face book page but the centrality that Bob's offered made it so easy to find a race on any given weekend. Now you have e to know what tracks are in your area(that still operate) and find individual tracks pages and schedules. I want to do something to increase participation in our sport. What would be the simplest/ most effective way to promote Kart racing of any sort to people that may have an interest. I'm not looking for what's already wrong with karting cause we all know the pitfalls of racing. I want to spread awareness to the general public about karting to increase numbers in the stands, but more importantly more karts in the pits!
Been seeing this same question for 20 yrs. and kart racing is still here.
The biggest thing we can do for kart racing....quit bashing on social platforms and project kart racing in a positive manner. I see folks on social media who bash karting lots but never ever see one post of something positive.

I have said this multiple times in multiple threads. For someone who was in karting 20+ years ago and back again now the difference is
3 different sanctioning bodies with different rules Too many motors too many tires too many classes. The Tracks should force NKA and AKRA to have the same rules. This is too easy. they are only hurting themselves and the Karter who needs different engines WHY??? merge the predators into a sealed clone that can be made into a built clone and stop the every track has slightly different predator rules. I will not address tires and prep that monster is way to big.

all kid classes on sealed motors
adult sealed clone
built clone classes with merged NKA AKRA rule set
a modified class
go home at a reasonable hour

Last edited:
So I'm hearing that tracks in close proximity are running same nights, which limits each turnouts, I know for some in central indiana this summer had a week were I could have raced wednesday thru sunday every day, between fair races and regular shows.. this is a side note .. HOW can we put karting back in front of the masses, there are a few youtubers that post weekly but that's is mainly going to be seen by existing racers.. I want ideas for bringing karting back in front of the mass population.. I thought for a while the DNQ karting series would be good to televise.. other than the commentators being a joke.. I'm just tired of running in classes of 6 or 4 when I remember classes of 20 or 25 not 10 to 12 years ago.. where did every one go.?

I've been thinking on this alot lately, I've noticed that tracks are having lower numbers, which leads to lower payouts and fewer "big" money events. I understand racing karts for most is about the enjoyment, not the profit (because let's face it many of us dont make money through the season off of wins). Is it the cost that drives interest off? Is it a lack of community promotion, to new enthusiast? Basically I'm try to say why is it seem so intimidating for those that have the funds? I've noticed every track has there own face book page but the centrality that Bob's offered made it so easy to find a race on any given weekend. Now you have e to know what tracks are in your area(that still operate) and find individual tracks pages and schedules. I want to do something to increase participation in our sport. What would be the simplest/ most effective way to promote Kart racing of any sort to people that may have an interest. I'm not looking for what's already wrong with karting cause we all know the pitfalls of racing. I want to spread awareness to the general public about karting to increase numbers in the stands, but more importantly more karts in the pits!
I've been thinking about this as well. I'm not sure how to increase the number of karts in the pits with the cost of starting raising each year. The cost is now around $4,000 to $5,000+ to start new... and that's with one set of tires lol I've attempted a couple times now to try and start and have given up due to cost and perceived interest of child. Not spending $5,000+ for child to try it once.

What was the cost of a chassis 10-12 years ago? I'm still surprised that almost all new chassis are at least $3,000.

The sprint and road race scene has gone through a total transformation with the sealed Briggs LO206 engine package. Many revived tracks and HUGE car counts and growth once again. Same basic engine from kid karts through adults. That has appealed to many newbies that we have seen. It's also brought back a lot of racers who got priced out in years past.
I can't say that a sealed or spec engine is the answer for all of karting, I seriously doubt that it is, but it certainly has been proven to be true on the sprint side of karting. Now, why the dirt oval crowd hasn't embraced this engine is a subject for another debate.

Too many classes, too late of nights, too many engine and tire options, the list goes on.

Honestly, from a retailer standpoint, I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to a lack of karts. :) Since post-covid shut-down about a year ago now, we have been off the hook with sales. Many new tracks opening up, or re-opening. Backyard racing is probably at an all-time high all across the country.
Maybe the better question would be "Why the surge in semi-organized back-yard racing over "sanctioned" kart tracks?"
I suspect it'll be much of the same reasons as listed above.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

As a predator racer, I would much rather race a sealed LO-206 motor on a dirt oval because of the number of people who cheat up their motors and the track does nothing about it. I think that if my local track would have a LO-206 class instead of a predator class more people would consider it because kart counts have gone down because they haven't been teching ut thankfully my local track is picking back up on the tech so they will hopefully be getting rid of the people with illegal motors.

I have said this multiple times in multiple threads. For someone who was in karting 20+ years ago and back again now the difference is
3 different sanctioning bodies with different rules Too many motors too many tires too many cases. The Tracks should force NKA and AKRA to have the same rules. This is too easy. they are only hurting themselves and the Karter who needs different engines WHY??? merge the predators into a sealed clone that can be made into a built clone and stop the every track has slightly different predator rules. I will not address tires and prep that monster is way to big.
This ^^^

I've tried to go visit other tracks but their rules are a tad different which would require a 1-time purchase of multiple parts spending money that I'd probably never use again. Pointless for me to do. I'm currently racing 206 this year and can say I've never had so much fun RACING because it's all on me. I'm not worried about the competitor next to me with his "Blue printed" motor because he doesn't have that. We're equal in the motor spec so beat my being a better driver, not by having deeper pockets. I seriously hope 206 picks up in the dirt world.
Also, quit trying to make your local track a National race with advertised money payouts every weekend. Sure, you're pulling in a couple racers that follow the money but the moment you don't offer that money.....they gone, and you're left with the locals who're your backbone and who are also sick and tired of competing against people who travel that can spend ungodly amounts of money to compete that locals can't.
People forget racing is a family sport through and through.....I'll take a $50 little trophy or spend an entire season competing for a Champions Jacket over a $200 payout any day (and that's if I win). Those "little" trophies and jackets are talking points, legacy pieces that you can share with your kids and grandkids as well as tell stories to your friends about.
I see money win photos all the time and sure, it's a big deal, but you won 1 time.....race an entire season and become a track champion....that's where it's hats off for me with a congratulations!

First thing I will say is that if you watch the kart counts in October vs June typically it is always less regular turnouts. For many reasons listed previously in this thread. (Pre-Covid this was happening)

People get burned out or they have spent the racing budget for the year already, etc.

Now my real concern is the guy or family that was new in June and by October was selling out. Maybe he got into OTB class thinking it is a straight up class. 6 months of getting smoked he is fed up and selling out.

Why should this concern anyone?

That might be a family of 4 or 5 people that most likely will never have anything to do with karting again. When they get asked why aren't you racing anymore?.......we can only hope they didn't get a real bad taste on the way out.

30 years ago you could buy new a top of the line flathead for $400.
And there was competition between builders offering you engines.
Yes there was a period where the price because of only having one main sectioning body where the price went thru the roof.
And those over the top prices were mainly because of Gold Cup.
Inflation would put the same at $800.

Can you buy a top of the line boxstock clone, predator or L206 for $800?
If not your being ripped off because they can get it.

The biggest problem with the cost of karting today is there are too many witches stirring the pot for your money.
There are a lot of karting bottom and top feeders because it's the nature of racing and how easy it is to get money from those hungry for a success, accolades and a win.

There are also twice as many people in our country since we first stepped on the moon, for those who eat off of karting to feast on.

And there is nothing wrong with it and it's just the way it is because it's our American way of life.

IMO the biggest killer of karting is lack of mentorship with those who are new to the sport. That doesn't mean you give secrets away, but honest advice points people in a good direction and keeps people in the sport longer.

I come from a Racing Family, we’ve raced Legends, Figure 8, Street Stocks, Late Models and Super Late Models. We’ve had some success in all. Keep in mind we are new to Dirt.

1. My fellow racers have been GREAT. Guys here, guys at the track, everyone has been patient and helpful. Twice already this year we only made the feature because other teams were working on my kid’s kart. Strangers in fact that are now friends.

2. Y’all Karting Veterans have let this tire game get out of control. The idea you have to come to the track with a trailer full of tires is crazy. Then correct me if I’m wrong, these tires have to be prepped. Chances are you won’t even use them, still need to be prepped. We ran the Big O, started off top 5 in practice and sunk like a rock because we didn’t have Hard Tires. We ended up 13th of 14 Red Plates. My kid picked up time just like all the others, but as he gained in wasn’t near what the competition gained.

Once again racers have really helped me better understand tires. But as a guy who will move my son to cars as soon as he’s old enough, it’s pretty useless knowledge once we make the move. Plus it adds expense. We should get beat by better drivers, not the guy with the better tire guru.

3. Tracks need to be more organized in a few areas. Most don’t have webpages anymore, they do everything through Facebook, and that’s fine but you need to have your Info on the page.

Here’s some need to know info I find missing.
1. City and State of the Tracks Location (Not Kidding)
2. Phone#
3. Track Rules, or sanctioning body you follow
4. Season Schedule (Not Kidding)
5. Size of the track
6. If you have a fuel stop you want used, I shouldn’t have to soft through a years worth of posts.

JMO as the new guy.

How much you want to spend on tires is about how much you want to win and your skill level to use them.
It's been that way for ever and ever.

20+ years ago I was amazed at Peachstate for a state race looking in a trailer that had at least what I could see 6 huge racks on wheels of mounted tires all Blues.
And there was not a one of them for sale.

ZForceRacing, the racers who help you learn more from helping you then you do.​

When your helped they know what you previously put on the track, your problem, what you did and the results of what you did.
It's the smartest thing in the world to help someone because of all you can learn from helping.

The value of a pit pass for me either car or kart racing is when I identify correctly someone's on track problem and get to talk to them about it.
If I do it doesn't matter if it's local karting or top of the food chain WoO you can learn from it so long as your not a pest and it's only an occasional thing.

Then there are racers you will develop a racing relationship with and they are always open to any ideas because their always trying all to improve their game or fix on track problems.

I come from a Racing Family, we’ve raced Legends, Figure 8, Street Stocks, Late Models and Super Late Models. We’ve had some success in all. Keep in mind we are new to Dirt.

1. My fellow racers have been GREAT. Guys here, guys at the track, everyone has been patient and helpful. Twice already this year we only made the feature because other teams were working on my kid’s kart. Strangers in fact that are now friends.

2. Y’all Karting Veterans have let this tire game get out of control. The idea you have to come to the track with a trailer full of tires is crazy. Then correct me if I’m wrong, these tires have to be prepped. Chances are you won’t even use them, still need to be prepped. We ran the Big O, started off top 5 in practice and sunk like a rock because we didn’t have Hard Tires. We ended up 13th of 14 Red Plates. My kid picked up time just like all the others, but as he gained in wasn’t near what the competition gained.

Once again racers have really helped me better understand tires. But as a guy who will move my son to cars as soon as he’s old enough, it’s pretty useless knowledge once we make the move. Plus it adds expense. We should get beat by better drivers, not the guy with the better tire guru.

3. Tracks need to be more organized in a few areas. Most don’t have webpages anymore, they do everything through Facebook, and that’s fine but you need to have your Info on the page.

Here’s some need to know info I find missing.
1. City and State of the Tracks Location (Not Kidding)
2. Phone#
3. Track Rules, or sanctioning body you follow
4. Season Schedule (Not Kidding)
5. Size of the track
6. If you have a fuel stop you want used, I shouldn’t have to soft through a years worth of posts.

JMO as the new guy.
I agree for the most part but 15 years ago when my uncle ran karts prep wasn't as big of a thing but they still had a bunch of tires. They had vegas, Burris, Maxxis pinks and blues, and other compounds of tires that would be best suited for the track conditions. The thing that kills all motorsports is prices and to be competitive in motorsports that is one thing that is most likely gonna hold you back from the fast guys is the knowledge you have and the amount of money you re willing to spend which makes it hard to be competitive when you start out because most the competitive people have good money invested in their teams and a bunch of tires that duro many different numbers.

Back