How can we better karting, and intice new racers to bring back karting?

I've been thinking on this alot lately, I've noticed that tracks are having lower numbers, which leads to lower payouts and fewer "big" money events. I understand racing karts for most is about the enjoyment, not the profit (because let's face it many of us dont make money through the season off of wins). Is it the cost that drives interest off? Is it a lack of community promotion, to new enthusiast? Basically I'm try to say why is it seem so intimidating for those that have the funds? I've noticed every track has there own face book page but the centrality that Bob's offered made it so easy to find a race on any given weekend. Now you have e to know what tracks are in your area(that still operate) and find individual tracks pages and schedules. I want to do something to increase participation in our sport. What would be the simplest/ most effective way to promote Kart racing of any sort to people that may have an interest. I'm not looking for what's already wrong with karting cause we all know the pitfalls of racing. I want to spread awareness to the general public about karting to increase numbers in the stands, but more importantly more karts in the pits!

OTB Predator classes have huge entries in our area…but plagued with cheating

Hopefully, we’re about to offer a sealed motor class…no tech, & seals are numbered & verifiable.. so no cheating

For $300, you get a motor with weenie pipe, chain guard, & rest to bolt on your clutch & race.

Time will tell…

Reactions: Gkh
OTB Predator classes have huge entries in our area…but plagued with cheating

Hopefully, we’re about to offer a sealed motor class…no tech, & seals are numbered & verifiable.. so no cheating

For $300, you get a motor with weenie pipe, chain guard, & rest to bolt on your clutch & race.

Time will tell…
Great idea. I would like to see more of this happen. Assuming somebody like Box Stock Project is supplying them there will be less of a chance of getting a dud buying from you than getting one at Harbor Freight.

Hmpphh that's been the question for probably the last 20-30+ years. Don't know the answer. When the box stock Clones first came out it was the savior, and kind of was. But hey Cup Karts North America had 400+ sealed Briggs 206 race entries at New Castle this past weekend on the sprint track, when was the last time you saw that?

have to say I has been a trying year. Shortage on tires, shortage on wheels (VANK had better get their act together as they new wheels SUCK.) Predators are up Clones are down. Harbor freight has no engines Briggs is back ordered, Box Stock sealed motors are out of stock etc etc. Hard to judge 2021

Would be nice to have a map showing where tracks are located and links to their Facebook page. When we got into it this year we believed there was only one track around but after doing some talking to our surprise there are 4.

Would be nice to have a map showing where tracks are located and links to their Facebook page. When we got into it this year we believed there was only one track around but after doing some talking to our surprise there are 4.
I wish there was 4 tracks around me. There is really only 1 track within 2 hours from me that I would actually consider racing at. There used to be more than 4 tracks within 1 hour from me and that was only 5 years ago but now we have 1 track because the rest closed down. But the 1 track we do have is a very nice track. I think a big issue is tire prep because people dont want to waste there time and money with tire prep but you cant make it illegal because I believe that is to hard to control. Plus you always have that one really good guy at the track that has deep pockets and puts kart lengths on everyone every race at small little tracks which also makes people mad. I think it is a combination of people cheating, tire prep, and many more variables.

I know a lot of the track owners and promoters are doing what they can , sometimes us karters are our own worst enemies. Does the money control the majority of racers or the minority? Is karting better off with the big money races or the Saturday shows? It's like what's up they redo Iron City run the Big O and then close up ( thank you very much mr. racer for your money) I'm done later Chuck.

I know of many tracks with 5 hours of me that arnt listed on there and there is one on there that is near me that hasnt operated in over 3 years. If you live on the east coast where karting is very big I am sure it is very accurate because most the tracks are able to stay open but not in my area.

Where I live there are 7 or 8 tracks within 2 hours but only a couple have strong weekly kart counts. And neither host really big money races.
The biggest problem I see is that tracks rely on volunteer help, including the flagman. Get a flagman who is the boss of the show and makes things roll in a timely matter and pay him. Pay the corner workers and scorers too. Find a way they can all communicate. and DO NOT shuffle the kids classes back in the event so late they dont enjoy it. I have seen kids on the grid at 10 oclock falling asleep on the grid waiting for their race. Cut back on the number of kids classes. It is watered down so far now that there are classes with only 3 or 4 karts because little Johnnies folks dont want him running with faster kids. Thats how you learn.

Where I live there are 7 or 8 tracks within 2 hours but only a couple have strong weekly kart counts. And neither host really big money races.
The biggest problem I see is that tracks rely on volunteer help, including the flagman. Get a flagman who is the boss of the show and makes things roll in a timely matter and pay him. Pay the corner workers and scorers too. Find a way they can all communicate. and DO NOT shuffle the kids classes back in the event so late they dont enjoy it. I have seen kids on the grid at 10 oclock falling asleep on the grid waiting for their race. Cut back on the number of kids classes. It is watered down so far now that there are classes with only 3 or 4 karts because little Johnnies folks dont want him running with faster kids. Thats how you learn.
At my local track jr3 is the second to last race of the night and some nights that means 10 or some nights that means 1130. Our track does a good job of running the young guns earlier in the night but hot laps start at 430 and we have 3 clone class, 3 predator class, stock appearing and open, rookie, jr1, jr2, j3, and senior quarter midget and the younger quarter midget class so as you can tell by the time we start features it is already 8 and to be honest those little 6 year olds up there on the grid look like they could go to sleep in there kart.

At my local track jr3 is the second to last race of the night and some nights that means 10 or some nights that means 1130. Our track does a good job of running the young guns earlier in the night but hot laps start at 430 and we have 3 clone class, 3 predator class, stock appearing and open, rookie, jr1, jr2, j3, and senior quarter midget and the younger quarter midget class so as you can tell by the time we start features it is already 8 and to be honest those little 6 year olds up there on the grid look like they could go to sleep in there kart.
There is a reason Jr 3 is on the bottom of the list. Look at the run time on clone 400, pred 400, and others. Races are done in 5-7 minutes. Jr. 3 runs pretty much to their 15 minute time limit every single race because those young folks have more speed than brains.

To be brutally honest, kids classes hurt in my opinion. I love seeing kids getting into racing, but do we really need a class for 5-7, 8-10, and 10-12 and 13-15? IMO have 2 classes of kids. 8-10, 11-13, at 14 run em with the adults. If you want Young kids to have a race, have them run 10 laps at intermission, caution laps counting, and be done.

And God forbid the quarter midgets running here in Southern MO. 5-7 cars total, and they still run 3 different classes, which are all the same kids in the same cars. Imo, QM suck.

What is keeping the turnout low? Races that take 8+ hours to complete. If you can't get your full show in in 5 hours, you have too many classes or you split up your heats too much. Local track is 1/8th mile. Heats are never bigger than 8, features no more than 12. I would look at no class having more than 2 heats. If that's two heats of 20, so be it. A race that starts at 5 should be done by 10.

Tracks that tolerate cheating. One of the reasons I quit racing was because the local promoter told me he knew a few guys were cheating but refused to do anything about it. Don't let cheaters make it impossible to win by the book.

Prep, it's too freaking complicated. Run no prep, and then tire sample on money show nights.

Tracks that have crazy fees more than pit pass and entry. Parking fees are stupid. Truck fees are stupid. Any other fees beyind entry and arm band are stupid.

Racers with bad attitudes. Like OP mentioned, none of us make our living off of our racing. Stop being fighting mad over a kart race. I get it, tempers flair, and I'm just as competitive as anyone else, but nobody needs to lose teeth because they bumped you. Nobody needs to go to jail because your driver nudged my driver. People yelling obscenities at each other in the pits is a bad look and sucks the fun out of it for everyone around you.

That's all I can think of right now for what is hurting the sport. With time I could come up with more.

Back