How coarse is too coarse?

Depends on track conditions as well. Harder track, smoother finish. A courser finish will help build heat in a tire for cold or softer track surfaces like sipes.

We plateau finish all of our tires, so you may continue to see deeper/courser scratches in the tire surface even though the surface finish is finer.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

We used to use 80 or 120 when we first started grinding tires until we learned finer was much better on the tracks we run on. I canned my small grinder and went to a 7 inch to get finer grit paper to work with. The difference was very noticeable.

B50ED9CD-8175-4458-A874-E7087F8E5B24.jpeg

That’s an 80 to 120 cross hatch….. it’s not the end of the world. I wouldn’t use it on calcium clay or a nice smooth high biter but it works for dry dusty crawdad dirt pretty well.

The problem we had with our tires ground with an 80 grit wheel was the pores opened up to the point the fine dust was getting packed into the pores of the tires. I have never pulled off a track with dirtier tires. Same with the next track we went to with fine dust/dirt. A friend pointed out the coarse grinding and we went much finer with completely different results.

The problem we had with our tires ground with an 80 grit wheel was the pores opened up to the point the fine dust was getting packed into the pores of the tires. I have never pulled off a track with dirtier tires. Same with the next track we went to with fine dust/dirt. A friend pointed out the coarse grinding and we went much finer with completely different results.
That’s is the down side…. Now if I’m not wiping aggressive before we go out and it was only black-sand and Diamond we were fine… but yes you are correct… if it’s to tacky they will pick up dust

So you got much better with the fine grind?

Depends on track conditions as well. Harderaue surfaces like sipes.

We plateau finish all of our tires, so you may continue to see deeper/courser scratches in the tire surface even though the surface finish is finer.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlsbcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back