How competitive is the Margay Bravo 206?

I was about to get the Margay Ignite K3 / 206 package. Then I was told by someone to just get a lightly used Margay Bravo 206 because it will compete well with other top 206 karts and the Ignite K3 will not. What do you guys think?

To say that a K3 will not be competitive is very subjective, if not biased.

If I had my choice of drivers (not me or my son :cool: ) I am pretty sure one of my K3's could win any Four Cycle event in the USA.

There's so much BS floating around about chassis because dealers know everyone is looking for some black magic that doesn't exist. Do you think Margay would be in business all these decades if they were slow? It's all on how you tune it and how you drive it. If you can do those two things it doesn't matter which kart you buy. At the end of the day they are all just a steel tube frame and 4 rubber tires so, promotion is everything.

Here is my take on the Brava. I had a Brava 4 that was a 2016-2017. I always had a problem with it being too tight with the Vega reds or YLC's when the track was rubbered up or the weather was really hot. When the weather was cooler in the spring and fall it would be fine. Or if the track was green in the morning or after a rain it would be fine. On the harder tires it was fine.

Right before I sold it to my brother I had it working ok in the warmer weather. I can't remember what I changed, but if i remember right I was playing with the caster and running the rear real narrow. My brother raced it in Florida for awhile and he was able to run near the front with it.

So it can be made to work fine, but it took me awhile to figure out what the chassis needed and I only race once or twice a month.

I've never driven the K3, but looking at the chassis it doesn't look as stiff as the Brava 4 I had. But my Brava had the 2 cycle style brakes and looked slightly different than the 206 version on the website now.

With the K3 you could also run the Ignite spec class as well at the regular 206 class. For 206 I think the K3 would be fine. I actually preferred the slightly cheaper components of the K3. Like the brakes. I like the old style MCP's compared to the Euro brake setup. I did like the sniper pill setup, but it kind of needs the laser system to so you can check settings. The pill system works just fine.

What brand of kart has local support in you area?

I hope that helps a little, but I don't think going with the K3 would be bad. I think either kart would be fine for you. The Brava 206 is just going to have a little better components, but like I said I don't think you need any of that stuff.

Last edited:
When looking for chassis I called Margay and talked to them about this and here's what I basically got from it.
The K3 is a great 4-cycle chassis but it's purpose built for the Ignite series that they run. It's a lot like the 206 motor in that it's a spec built chassis for a spec series. It'll still be a great chassis for outside of that series but that was the intent.
The 206 Briggs is their "premier" 4-stroke chassis. It's built to compete with the Birel's, Tony's, Top Karts, MGM's, Praga's....etc.

SCRAD what weight were you running at when you struggled with your Margay?
I was mostly running Masters weight at 390 maybe 375. I also ran Senior Medium at 360 a few times. Don't get me wrong I got a a lot 2nd and 3rd place finishes, but I always felt there was a little more time left in the chassis that I couldn't get out of it.

Margay Ignite is solid. If you’re going National and you think you’re going to be in the top 5, it might not be my pick. But, if you’re having fun and the Ignite give more and better opportunities to have fun ( which means race and race competitively) then go with it.

Back