How do I get my jets right?

Madixj

So, I just bought a new air filter kit for my Predator 212 along with a jet kit and exhaust pipe. But, I ran into a problem in jetting my carb. When I added the new bigger jet, anytime I would get going fast, it would stop accelerating and start jerking, sputtering, and popping and be limited to like 30mph or less (when theoretically should be going faster than that). When I looked online, it sounded like valve float, but valve float shouldn't happen till around 5000-5500 rpms, and I don't think I'm going fast enough for that. I live in the "Mile high state" Colorado(where I live literally a mile above sea level) and was wondering what combo of jets might work best. My jet kit includes a .36, .37, and .38 jet, along with a gx140 emulsion tube and a new low-speed tube. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
if it’s a HEMI you would be surprised how quick some come up on valve float. One of my newer ones starts to fall on its face at 4,800 ish

if it’s a HEMI you would be surprised how quick some come up on valve float. One of my newer ones starts to fall on its face at 4,800 ish
No it's a non-hemi. But, on a side note, just now while I was trying to try out jets, when I tried to start the engine it idled fine for a second, then all of a sudden revved really high, made an awful noise (like gears stripping), and started rolling away! Any ideas what that could be?

Your clutch is engaging due to the idle jumping up. I’m gonna say it’s a drum clutch and you possibly have an air leak at one of your carb gaskets.

Your clutch is engaging due to the idle jumping up. I’m gonna say it’s a drum clutch and you possibly have an air leak at one of your carb gaskets.
Thanks! When I checked it out online I found that it's likely caused by a dry/bad bearing, so I took the clutch off and tried to lubricate it. I tested the idle while the clutch was off and it seemed to be ok so I think my 20$ cheapo clutch off Amazon was the problem 😅

Sounds like your to rich ,did you install 36? If so put old jet back in and see what it does
Yeah, I think it was from running rich. I found that the stock jet with the new emulsion tube worked great! I think because of my high elevation, it runs a lot better lean.

Back