How do I remove this Noram Clutch?

John_OSU

I bought a used kart honda gx390 engine and I need to remove the side cover, how do I remove this clutch?

I believe it is a Noram 1600 based on the photos, there are 3 clutch springs, there is no bolt down the centre of the driveshaft hole and on the back there are no holes for nuts/bolts/threads but there are 3/4 empty holes which dont hold anything.

Attachments

• clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 114
Pickle fork.
Likely a taperd shaft.
A gear puller could work.
Judicious use of hammer (expect damage) .
Possible left hand thread , you never know might have been a BSA engineer :).

There were 2 circlips on there that i removed, 1 on each side that I removed. It still wouldn't move after that. The Engineering manager at Noram said it looked seized onto the crankshaft. Do you think it would come off with a pry bar and a lot of hopes and dreams?

if i wasn't trying to save the clutch, and without grinding the crank, i would use a 4" cut off wheel on a grinder. cut away parts of the clutch, until i got to the hub. then i'd be real careful not to grind the crank .

no use a puller with a tapper on the center bolt hole and a hammer when the torque of the bolt is real tight, hit it and if it doesn't pop loss torch it hard then do it again. have fun

Your picture didn't show the key or keyway which locks the clutch to the shaft.

Your key may be partially sheared, bent or slightly cocked locking the clutch to the shaft. Look closely to make sure the keyway on the clutch and keyway on the engine crank are lined up ok. You may have to slightly rotate the clutch on the shaft to get things lined up before it will come off 'easier'?

You could put a couple of metal hose clamps around the clutch so when you tap on it to try to free it up you won't be beating on the clutch. I'd say put a hose clamp one way on the clutch and another the other direction so you can tap either direction on the nut of the clamp trying to free it up. And a little penetration oil between the clutch and the shaft won't hurt either. Rotate the engine so the keyway is up and squirt the penetrating oil in the keyway and let it set. Little taps usually free things up better then beating and banging.

Did the engineer get differnt pictures ?
Your sure there is no cap screw holding it on , actually looked in the clutch shaft with a light?

Turns out all along the clutch was just slightly seized onto the shaft, I sprayed it with lots of brake cleaner and just started twisting back and forth until it slid down the end of the shaft. Didn't even need much force and the key hole and the key were perfectly fine

Turns out all along the clutch was just slightly seized onto the shaft, I sprayed it with lots of brake cleaner and just started twisting back and forth until it slid down the end of the shaft. Didn't even need much force and the key hole and the key were perfectly fine

Good Job

You need to buy a 2 arm or 3 arm pulley gear puller. This will happened again in your karting career and the gear puller makes it a lot easier to get a clutch off.

Back