How do we slow Rookie Class down?

The way they get around the gear rule is by using different size rears so possibly a good idea to implement that also at the same time instead of later on or mid season. Soco could probably answer better than I could but even on a small track it would make a difference. How much I have no idea.

we tried that ... 2 laps in the Comers were lapping the predators.
We haven't had that issue but 1 time . His comer had work done , so it was faster and the driver had more seat time than the other kids , so we changed his gear to get them closer . For me , and agreed upon by the parents , it is more for teaching them how to race with other kids respectfully and to have fun . Some of my adult drivers even get out with them on the track and mix it up with them once in awhile . We try to make it fun .

My 7yr old will be 8 in a month is on a green plate and i don't think i would trust him with a purple. Again he's been racing almost two years and about a month ago comes through 1/2 with his right hand out the side one lap. Asked him what was going on after and he said he was waving at us same corner he was waving at us he got passed for the lead :cool:
I go strictly by AKRA rule book on plates and ages , and at my track your son would be a red plate . I was at a track last year where the green plates were turning faster lap times than most of the adult classes . They had disc clutch's , big pipe motors , built to max of the pro box stock rules .The biggest problem I see , is that to many tracks make up their own rules and don't follow any sanctioning body , which hurts the tracks that do . The parents will not take their kids to a track that slow's them down , because their kid is the next big thing ! JMO

Smaller engine, less compression, smaller carb, more restricted exhaust, less timing, higher octane, less RPM (governor) etc. etc. last but not least; take the incentive away from father's and mother's from any attempt to make their child a winner.

A lot of inconvenience I know, but they will go slower.

I go strictly by AKRA rule book on plates and ages , and at my track your son would be a red plate . I was at a track last year where the green plates were turning faster lap times than most of the adult classes . They had disc clutch's , big pipe motors , built to max of the pro box stock rules .The biggest problem I see , is that to many tracks make up their own rules and don't follow any sanctioning body , which hurts the tracks that do . The parents will not take their kids to a track that slow's them down , because their kid is the next big thing ! JMO
We dont have a red plate at this track. It has a 79cc class but few run it.

My older son(9) moved up to purple plate predator flat kart and purple cage kart with a clone. The predator is as fast as the adult 425 class. Cage kart was 3-4 tenths off. Went back to the dyno and found some more power for the purple clone, it will probably run close to the predator kart now and the adult 425 class. This track had a small pipe rule up until Jr3 but dropped it this year. Everyone wants to win, you aren't going to keep the parents from spending money to try to go faster. We have all of the above that your listed for the AKRA stuff, if someone else gets those then you have to if you want to compete. Part of the fun for gear heads is trying to make more power with the rules and then seeing it translate to wins and faster lap times on the track.

My son runs a purple plate here in the SE all over Florida and GA. At most races we're running close to the same MPH and lap times as many adult classes if not more in some cases. For the Red plate rookies I think there needs to be a rev limited coil used because I agree, they are way too fast at many of the big tracks and 90% of those kids are not experienced enough to handle it!

and that would be?
As I said earlier in this thread. It starts with the track operators controlling young drivers. Speed isn’t what scares me. It’s the inability of some track operators of removing the ones who are careless. Everyone had good suggestions with gear and tire rules and that’s all great but there’s nothing scarier than having your kid out there with another kid that thinks it’s a video game and the track not doing anything about it in fear of making someone mad.

Creating a throttle stop on the carb that is the same color as plates would work . It can be mounted on the existing throttle stop tab on the carb . I don't have the machining tools to do this idea , or I would be making and testing them to see if it would work . Different thickness for each plate class

As I said earlier in this thread. It starts with the track operators controlling young drivers. Speed isn’t what scares me. It’s the inability of some track operators of removing the ones who are careless. Everyone had good suggestions with gear and tire rules and that’s all great but there’s nothing scarier than having your kid out there with another kid that thinks it’s a video game and the track not doing anything about it in fear of making someone mad.
I agree to some extent that tracks should take into consideration ones ability on the track, and if necessary they should separate and give the ones that need more time to get up to par their own race/track time. Now if we are talking about rough driving that would be a totally different topic lol.

Another recommendation would be to keep the amateur classes truly amateur is another one. A kid wearing a leather maxxis jacket shouldn’t be able to enter but it always happens.
no disrespect, just curious about amateur jr classes, i know adults have them but just never seen them on the line ups at the tracks we run.

no disrespect, just curious about amateur jr classes, i know adults have them but just never seen them on the line ups at the tracks we run.

I know a lot of tracks do points and pro races. I have seen some do a regulars jr race and then a pro race but maybe it’s a idea than can be implemented. Not every kid had the chance to start at 5-7

I know a lot of tracks do points and pro races. I have seen some do a regulars jr race and then a pro race but maybe it’s a idea than can be implemented. Not every kid had the chance to start at 5-7
gotcha, i was just under the impression tracks did it that way just to give the little guys more seat time and so they could keep the same weight on the kart, but what you are saying makes sense. But then I'd ask is that the way we slow the rookie down as the OP asked? Seat time for youngsters is the ticket and I fill like as a paying parent tracks should offer more seat time for the little ones. I know some people will say well thags just more classes added to the line up, but for someone to pay the same pitpass price, parking price, and only get one race jist doesn't seem right." i know its America and life isn't fair and we make our own choices" Just seems they could give the little ones more seat time. Now for the OP question I'd say throttle stop on carb would be definitely something someone should look into, the gear rules, most tracks set are still fast for the new new rookies when someone figures out how to free the motor and crank it well above the rpm range. The track should maybe separate the new new ones and implement the throttle stop, untill they can show consistency, and kart control then they would be able to race with the actual rookie class. Just my opinion which isn't worth much! lol

gotcha, i was just under the impression tracks did it that way just to give the little guys more seat time and so they could keep the same weight on the kart, but what you are saying makes sense. But then I'd ask is that the way we slow the rookie down as the OP asked? Seat time for youngsters is the ticket and I fill like as a paying parent tracks should offer more seat time for the little ones. I know some people will say well thags just more classes added to the line up, but for someone to pay the same pitpass price, parking price, and only get one race jist doesn't seem right." i know its America and life isn't fair and we make our own choices" Just seems they could give the little ones more seat time. Now for the OP question I'd say throttle stop on carb would be definitely something someone should look into, the gear rules, most tracks set are still fast for the new new rookies when someone figures out how to free the motor and crank it well above the rpm range. The track should maybe separate the new new ones and implement the throttle stop, untill they can show consistency, and kart control then they would be able to race with the actual rookie class. Just my opinion which isn't worth much! lol
This year has been a tough year with three months of little to no racing for us just starting. The time we could’ve used on Sunday’s after the race to ride and get that seat time wasn’t there. So what do you do? You can’t learn anything at home. Lol

it really is ! Buy and old cheap full-size chassis and inexpensive engine. If they like it good if not your out a few hundred bucks.

Back