How do we slow Rookie Class down?

LeftTurn

All these tracks are starting to let kids go racing at 5 and 6 years old. I watch these kids out there and many of them just look like zombies in a car seat. It makes me nervous every time I watch. The track in our area runs the red plate in the clone, but there's still a lot of speed for a 5 year old. I'd really like to help our local track out by proposing some changes to slow them down, but I have no idea what could even be done. Any ideas?

Kids pick it up incredibly fast. Generally fear makes them not drive beyond their abilities. Do you have a youngster out there?

I dont think they need slowed down as much as they could use a remote ignition shutoff. In out 10 races this year we have had 3 kids go flying though the pits not knowing how to stop, or panicking and forgetting the brake. One of these was a QM that no doubt saved the kids life as he drove it straight into the back of a truck. If they had a remote shutoff then when the race was over you could hit the switch and they all shut down. Not nearly the concern of a WOT through the staging area.

Throttle stops and gear ratio rules are easy ones. Remote shut offs could be good too, not sure what they cost or even where to get them? Anybody ever think about a panic button/lever that could release an automatic braking mechanism?

Teaching them beyond ...... This is the Brake -----This is the Gas !
Knowing what too do in an emergency situation is something we all need to know .
The kids have no real time emergency experience to draw from .
The speed issue plays along with that .
I took the son to a motocross race . He was fine in practice . Once the Green flag dropped all I could do is pray he got through that heat uninjured .
We packed up and went home ---- way out classed .

yeah that’s the thing we run purple plate as our smallest plate class... the problem is they don’t all take to it and catch on at the same rate. so in that case you need a first year rookie class and that let’s them get a year under their belt racing with others on their level.

other than that we do have a squirt class that runs the 79cc predator and that’s a nice way for them to catch on in a full size kart at a speed they can process.

Gear rules will slow them down. You will spend more money to rebuild the engine to get it to run better out of the power band then.

We have a 79cc predator class here, it hasn't really caught on but we have a couple flat karts and couple cage karts running them and they are much slower than the 196 with a red plate.

I kind of agree the first time my kids raced a red plate i knew it was going to end up in the fence but they survived. We had run a yard kart off and on for a year that had a 212 without a plate. Get them a yard kart to get used to turn/sliding running at speed using the brakes.

I almost always step in and tell them to turn it off when they are coming off the track. We have been running 2 years almost and i still do this. Saves the clutch and you don't have to worry about them hitting anyone, our pit at the local track is pretty dark

yeah that’s the thing we run purple plate as our smallest plate class... the problem is they don’t all take to it and catch on at the same rate. so in that case you need a first year rookie class and that let’s them get a year under their belt racing with others on their level.
What are the age requirements for the purple plate? I cant imagine a 6yr old trying to handle one of those.

A remote cut off is not a total solution because what happens when you shut the engine down is the kart remains at speed so LIL racer still needs to brake. My friends son has had some yellow flag and scale entry issues (2nd year red plate ) but has since learned it's just a time thing. Some kids just belong on a soccer field.

What are the age requirements for the purple plate? I cant imagine a 6yr old trying to handle one of those.
Squirts 79cc is 5-8
All rookie classes are purple plate and age 7-12

My nephew started rookie purple at 6 after winning 2 back to back championships in comer kid karts. He took it pretty good.

When my son started we were at a track that had practice on Monday nights. He started in purple plate but practiced with blue. He learned quick and won on his 5th race against those with lots more experience.

I have a class called Dirt Squirts for 4 to 6 year olds on 79cc predators and comers . I call it my mentor class . Me and other older racers hang with the kids and give them pointers and such . Teach them the flags , and what each one means . To show respect for each other on the track . I have went as far as pushing a youngster all the way around the track , showing them entry and exits and such . Its a blast watching them , and they are meeting several new friends , and idols .

We had really small restrictor plates for the 4 year olds in the flathead days. Maybe a smaller restrictor plate is called for now or a gear and tire rollout rule?

Squirts 79cc is 5-8
All rookie classes are purple plate and age 7-12

My nephew started rookie purple at 6 after winning 2 back to back championships in comer kid karts. He took it pretty good.
My 7yr old will be 8 in a month is on a green plate and i don't think i would trust him with a purple. Again he's been racing almost two years and about a month ago comes through 1/2 with his right hand out the side one lap. Asked him what was going on after and he said he was waving at us same corner he was waving at us he got passed for the lead :cool:

Here in the Carolinas, where the kid kart classes started, theres a gear rule, always has been since the start of it. That really helps to slow them down some. I believe at most tracks its like a 17-69.
Mandated tire size also helps when going to the bigger tracks when having this gear rule.

Here in the Carolinas, where the kid kart classes started, theres a gear rule, always has been since the start of it. That really helps to slow them down some. I believe at most tracks its like a 17-69.
Mandated tire size also helps when going to the bigger tracks when having this gear rule.
I think the gear rule may be the way to go.

Back